Firebird I'm Working On

Ok, here's the step by step photos, by the way, I have to give Warmoth props, the mix of slightly quilted wings with flamed center is AMAZING looking. Especially when you consider the low price for the body...

First, the raw wood, wiped with mineral spirits to clean it and show the figure...

start.jpg

Next a coat of "black cherry" dye over the entire body. It's a mixture of black and crimson red analine dye... I then washed as much of the dye off the maple top as I could, but not the mahogany back...

step1.jpg

Next I coated the maple top with a strong concentration of yellow dye.

step2.jpg

After that, start laying on your clear... I used Tru-oil...

step3.jpg

After 20 coats, level sand and 10 more coats, then wiring and assembly.

step4.jpg

Now I just need a neck and it's done...

Oh... here's the mahogany back with an unwashed black cherry dye and tru-oil...

back.jpg

And here's what I do for fun while I'm waiting for all this crap to dry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCGCN-KJo4

RACEboardsm.jpg

Edited by maryhillrat

Welcome to the forum!

Some great-looking wood there. She's gonna sound great, too, I'm betting. Pretty hard to screw up mahogany+maple+2'buckers. :D

I admire your patience with the Tru-Oil. 30 coats! Madness!

totally rocks.... :D

shame i dont know anything about customizing finishing and all that....

ive gotta learn and ask u: how much experience do you need to do something like that?

You don't need a whole lot of experience, I went and bought some chunks of figured maple at the lumber store, did about 10 color tests before I found out which color combinations I liked, did a full finish on the samples to see the end result.

Pretty cool. I love the figure of that maple.

What kind of neck are you using?

It's going to be an all rosewood, unfinished reverse jackson neck... jumbo stainless steel frets.

^ The happy camper himself!

Hey, amazing work you did there, i love the first coat that you threw, that soft purple. But then the final product was like "Oh WOW!".

Congratulations dude, keep on rocking!

BTW i like a lot that custom strat, Spaltes maple top, right?

Great work man. I've just completed my Thunderbird and i'm considering a Firebird build myself. I'll be going down the same route of using a good ol' 2x4 neck tenon of course. Really fun! I didn't realise that Warmoth would do a figured laminate for the raised section. That's pretty cool and worked out very nicely. Good call.

Thanks for the good words guys!! The Strat is a solid black korina body with a simple clear finish, really brings out the grain..

AWESOME!

Off-topic, how do you like the Alumitones?

The Alumitones have an awesome tone. The only gripe I have is that since the neck and body are both really warm woods, along with the pickups being on the warm side, it's impossible to get a real good "strat" sound out of it... I think that linked up with a maple neck they would howl...

Edited by maryhillrat

Dude that is a beautiful guitar. I'm really curious about how many hours it took you to go from start to finish (not including the color tests) to actually build that. Also how many days did you work on it?

Great guitar, I think this summer I'm gonna try this and I'm wondering how hard it is to put a Floyd Rose inside a body?

Dude that is a beautiful guitar. I'm really curious about how many hours it took you to go from start to finish (not including the color tests) to actually build that. Also how many days did you work on it?

Great guitar, I think this summer I'm gonna try this and I'm wondering how hard it is to put a Floyd Rose inside a body?

Well, I didn't do any real wood work other than drilling the holes, so all the time was spent on finish and wiring, probably a total of 15-20 hrs, spread over a month for drying time. The final assembly and wiring took about 3-4 hrs.

oh, and if your talking about putting a Floyd in a pre-routed body like mine, it's a simple thing, just screw it in...

Edited by maryhillrat

Darn lol gonna be a pain to put the spot in the body. I guess the things you do for what you want in a guitar :D Thanks for the info.

I guess I should ask if the distance the bridge is from the neck matters, and if so, what is the distance used?

Edited by Krow