One For The Lap Steelers

I was without a project so I thought I would build a Lap Steel. I have already made one so this one will get sold somehow at a small profit, nowhere near the labour cost . Its a bit of fun and I might learn something.

Body is queensland maple , quilt cap is victorian ash and the neck is bulbinga.

body

neck sloted for 23 Inch scale

Altogether now.

gluing cap on

Gluing binding on with acetone

Geting there

IMG_0233s.jpg

Kev :D

Awesome, can't wait to see it when it's finished! How you going to finish it? A nice stain or burst would look sweet IMO. :D

I realy want to keep the finish process simple so I want to stay away from spraying lacquor so an oil finish would be prefrable. I can still stain but a burst is more difficult as the transition looks different when wiped on and its not as dramatic. Still I'll see what I can do, thats half the reason for this project , to try stuff.

First lap Steel

Wipe on burst

I could try and spray on the stain but it wont build up like a lacquor I would have to create the transition with varying shades of tone in the stain... :D

Me

Both those finishes look great to me. What's on your first build? I love it.

Denis

One of the things I wanted to try was using acetone to glue the binding. I can tell you it works well but is very messy.What I did on advice from some pros was to soak my binding strip in a container filled with acetone for 1 minute . Then what you do , and here is where it gets very messy , is to remove the strip and just fit around the routed channel all the time taping it on tight.

Some observation; 1 min might have been too long , it desolves quite quickly , 50 seconds might have been better.

The binding gets that gooey that it fills the chanel very well filling in all the grain in butts up to making it look very tight.

You have to be very careful that you don't gouge the soft binding or else a gouge will be there when its dryed. If that happens it is relativly easy to fix by wetting the strip and smoothing it over with your finger.

It drys quite quickly so after an hour or more you can sand it flat.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Taking a while as I got sick of sanding so I needed a break.

I thought I would have a go a tiger eye finish. Its been well documented on this forum as to how to do it so I'll be brief.

Stain dark and then rub back so the flat grain goes back to original but the end grain stays dark as it absorbed the most stain. The trick is not to rub back too much.

Pretty easy. The contrast will increas when the oil goes on.

IMG_0236.jpg

Thirdstone,

I fear you will have problems with the acetone soaking of binding - when binding is soaked in acetone it will swell up, and it takes a *very* long time to return to it's natural size. If you scrape or sand flush before this, you will find that the binding shrinks past the edges of the wood, so you end up with binding which is narrower than the binding channel. This swelling can occour if you use an acetone based adhesive, so I'd imagine it will be even more of an issue if you're actually immersing the entire binding strip.

Thirdstone,

I fear you will have problems with the acetone soaking of binding - when binding is soaked in acetone it will swell up, and it takes a *very* long time to return to it's natural size. If you scrape or sand flush before this, you will find that the binding shrinks past the edges of the wood, so you end up with binding which is narrower than the binding channel. This swelling can occour if you use an acetone based adhesive, so I'd imagine it will be even more of an issue if you're actually immersing the entire binding strip.

I proberbly won't use acetone again but as I have I wonder how long is "a very long time?"

I used this method as it was recomended to me by a quality luthier and a rather large guitar company in Australia "Maton" do it this way.

• 1 month later...

Still going on this one. I've been distracted by other stuff such as playing but some progress pics , excuse the dull lighting but the flash just reflected. At present the oiled finish is not buffed.

IMG_0244.jpg

The Back has just a light brown stain on it.

I will proberbly make another cover with the grain going the same way as the neck. :D

• 2 months later...