Brass Sustain Block

BrianS

Hello all, brand newbie here. I've heard about brass under the bridge in a Yamaha SG2000. Has anyone ever tried planting one of these blocks themselves? And what's a good source to find one? -- Brian

I have. See my thread here: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=24923

Mine is a combined sustain block and string retainer. If you're thinking of going this route, you need a drill press, and be very careful when enlarging holes in brass with a drill... it has a nasty tendency to grab bits.

Anyway, I bought that piece of brass on eBay a couple years ago. It wasn't the right size for my application, so I used a vertical mill to get the dimensions right, then I rounded off the corners with a beltsander. If you don't have access to a milling machine, brass stock can be bought in a number of sizes from online vendors (McMaster-Carr and OnlineMetals.com come to mind). If you're going for just a block under the bridge, it's as simple as getting the right size piece of brass, routing a hole for it, then rounding the corners on the brass so it will fit in hole you routed.

• 3 months later...

My Godin LG has a strip of what seems to be brass, which anchors the ball ends of the strings (it's a string-through). This is simply a manufacturing decision, I'm sure of it-- easier to slap on a brass strip than to seat 6 ferrules. There's no way this strip increases sustain.

My Godin LG has a strip of what seems to be brass, which anchors the ball ends of the strings (it's a string-through). This is simply a manufacturing decision, I'm sure of it-- easier to slap on a brass strip than to seat 6 ferrules. There's no way this strip increases sustain.

Nah, doesn't help with sustain. It's a manufacturing decision, like you said, and I agree it's easier. In fact, I've decided I won't be using ferrules at all anymore. I just finished up a string retainer for a new guitar I've been working on (literally 5 minutes ago). It's made from 1/8" x 1/2" spring steel. Still needs to be painted, but here's a picture:

vax-retainer.jpg

Edited by fookgub