Straightening A Neck & Fretboard

Hi guys, I want to completely remove the neck relief off of a neck. I am going to try a dead straight neck and see if it helps for ultra low action.

I don't want to remove the frets before the straightening but then how could I know that the neck (the fretboard in fact) is perfectly straight when the frets are on it?

Another problem is that the are pretty bad leveled too and I want to level them after I straighten the neck.

How do you judge that a neck/fretboard is straight with the frets on?

Or should I just clamp the neck (frets down) to a straight board and base all the straightening on their crowns?

drummerdude...as was said before,it is not a magical procedure....you just need to follow all of the tutorials already written on the subject on the main site.you were already given a ton of advice on this,i just don't understand why you haven't followed it.by now you should be well aquainted with the theory,if not the actual work.

What counts is the frets. As David mentioned you need to adjust the truss to straighten the neck. You need to check the frets to determine what frets may be high or low, and get then as close to straight as you can with the truss rod, and hopefully get it very close to minimise how much leveling is needed(be careful to identify individual high or low frets).

Maybe now would be a good time to get a book on fretting or go read through the tutorials.

Peace,Rich

How do you judge that a neck/fretboard is straight with the frets on?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl...aight_Edge.html