Neck Measurements

Does it matter how far the distance is from the bottom bridge to the nut/bridge by the headstock? My friend and I are building a guitar and we don't know if there's a certain measurement for that. I hope someone can help me with this. Reply if you know please.

The quickest measurement is to double the distance from the headstock nut (that's the inner edge the faces towards the fingerboard), to the saddles on the body bridge. (the tips where the strings make contact on) THEN add about 1/4" for string compensation. That means move the bridge back about another 1/4"

Quick and easy. Anybody want a try for an easier way?

Hope it helps,

Mike

The quickest measurement is to double the distance from the headstock nut (that's the inner edge the faces towards the fingerboard), to the saddles on the body bridge. (the tips where the strings make contact on) THEN add about 1/4" for string compensation. That means move the bridge back about another 1/4"

Quick and easy. Anybody want a try for an easier way?

Hope it helps,

Mike

I think he meant to say.. measure the distance from the fretboard side of the string nut at the headstock to the 12th. fret. Then Double that distance would be your scale length. As far as the bridge placement, depending on the style of bridge you are using you may need to adjust the placement(move it a little farther away from the string nut than your to actual scale length to allow for adequit intonation adjustment). What type of bridge are you using?

Peace,Rich

Yup, that's what I meant.

Holy smokes, that would be like a 50" scale!

Damn, I need more sleep....

You build em big dude! :D (it was just a typo, I understood what you were describing)

Now if we can figure out what bridge Slash// is using we can nail down that bridge placement. Actually now that I think about it. Stewart Macdonalds on line fret placement calculator gives you compensation for many commonly used bridges. That would be a good source(plus SM has a wealth of other handy info for free :D ).

Intonation adjustments usually dictate that the string length is increased from the scale length ie. the saddles are moved backwards. On a strat style bridge I'd move the saddles almost fully forwards & use them to measure from to give correct bridge placement. When they are intonated they will only need backwards adjustment so you will have plenty of travel left for them. For TOM bridges I just use the StewMac calculator as it allows for bridge compensation as well as saddle compensation.

Now if we can figure out what bridge Slash// is using we can nail down that bridge placement. Actually now that I think about it. Stewart Macdonalds on line fret placement calculator gives you compensation for many commonly used bridges. That would be a good source(plus SM has a wealth of other handy info for free :D ).

Well we're going to buy a Gibson neck instead of making our own. Now I actually don't know a whole lot about the parts and everything, that's basically what my friend who's helping me with it is doing. But he wants to use a Floyd Rose Tremolo System. I don't know if that helps you help me or not, if you know what I mean. :D

When I'm talkin' to him next I'll let you know what we're using for a bridge.

Does anybody know if I would need neck angle with a Floyd rose Tremolo System????? The guy I'm building this with doesn't think we will, but we're still not sure.

I think I'm going to buy that Melvyn Hiscock book you guys are recommending.

No one can answer that for you. It depends on the height of the fingerboard above the surface of the body. You need to know the maximum and minimum height of the saddles on the bridge you want to use. You would use this figure in the full-sized, edge-on drawing which I'm sure you've made. :D If you haven't made that drawing yet, don't start working on the guitar, you will waste all the materials!

If you raise the neck higher relative to the plane of the body, you may not need a neck angle. I believe (could be wrong) that some SG's were made with "raised" necks and no neck angle, using tuneomatic bridges.

So it all depends on the adjustability range of your saddles and how you place the neck relative to the body. The Hiscock book will help you immensely.

I'm very new to this too, so corrections may be needed.

I have been doing mods, repairs, and setups for years on many guitars but I still have not moved to a complete build. I am reading Melvyn's book for the forth time right now and combined with that info and lurking and talking on this site, I am just now confident enough to start putting my plans into action. Plus, my first build is designed as a bit unique but very simple in it's basic construction i.e. single PU, fixed bridge, raised fingerboard (no neck angle)...etc. So, my point is buy the book and read it several times. You will then have the information to ask the correct questions (if you even need to at all).

Peace...Rog