Next Bass

ok ive finished my first heres the plan for the next one

on the top buckeye burl then a thin black veneer of somthing then some purple heart then some maple

what u think???

im thinking of some buckeye burl pickup covers

heres the body design i did a while ago

5string.jpg

tell me wat u think it probably wont be happening for a while but there the plans

Even after a good year and a half of solid woodworking experience (20-40+ hours a week), I'd still be afraid to work with buckeye burl. Considering how expensive it is, I would hate to make any kind of mistake using it. And I'm not trying to be an ass about this, but anyone can toss out drawings like that in a matter of seconds. Do some full-scale ones and see what will and wont work for you. Take your first bass as a prime example. What is great about your current bass? What could be improved on it? Different string spacing, longer horns for balance, extra width on the neck for an easier vibrato, deeper belly countour etc. etc. Once you have some more of these questions answered and figured out, then you'll be on the right track.

mmm true with my last bass i just figured out wat i wanted it to look like but until i get out to the wood shop i dont have anything set in concrete.....u never know wat woods they'll have there and due to there extreamly arkward open hours ill only go out there when im ready to buy some.......so ill be looking round for a bit.

as for questions about the neck ill probably buy one again i dont think im up to a full build at the moment. so all the mod on the fret board/head im pretty sure arnt going to happen im planning on going for a 5 string so ill be looking round for one..

with my first build i just made wat i though looked/felt good and then got all the specs. off wat i had made up until then

as far as what i could do better the only thing i would fix is the action...ill probaly just look at some good tone woods and pickups

as i said this bass will be a long time coming so im open for addvice on adjustments and stuff

cheers

+1 to what Jon said. That isn't so much a plan as a napkin sketch. If you're planning on buying a ready made neck then how do you know that it will look like your sketch? How do you know what scale it will be without the neck? So from that sketch the only thing that we can actually comment on & the only thing that you can work towards is the approximate shape of the body.

If you're going to buy a pre-made neck you should really buy that before working out anything else. It will determine scale length & string spacing (& so, which bridges you can use). Knowing which bridge you can use will then determine whether you need a neck angle or how much to raise the neck. You'll also then be able to work out how big the body will need to be & how much wood you need to get.

If you're planning on buying a ready made neck then how do you know that it will look like your sketch?

as for questions about the neck ill probably buy one again i dont think im up to a full build at the moment. so all the mod on the fret board/head im pretty sure arnt going to happen im planning on going for a 5 string so ill be looking round for one..

anyway like i said i havn started anything just an idea at the moment so im still open for ideas

If you are planning on using buckeye i would be tempted to get an acrylised bit from larry davis at gallery hardwoods. That should take away a lot ofthe issues that buckeye burl has

wat does he do for that cuz a guy at my uncles work if a wooden dash board is damaged he puts in putty or somthing an paints in the wood grain and u cant tell the differance

larrys acrylised wood is real wood that get sets in acrylic with a special secret process. he can even do it with coloured acrylic to dye the wood all the way through although that wouldnt be necisarry with buckeye.

larrys process

the way i see it its a usefull process for making difficult woods easier to work with or hardening woods enough so they can be used for things like fretboards.

ohh cool im not sure how you'd go getting it over to Australia considering i have not alot of money

as i said its all about the wood thats at the shop on the day when i go to buy it i just have a rought idea of wat i wat it to look like

if i did do the Myrlte i would just have it as the top then a black veneer and then maple or ash or somthing like that

but heres a Myrtle bass which may change ur mind

if i could get something fingure like taht it would be sick

anyone else got some nice wood ideas

I have ordered whole guitars worth of wood from larry posted to me in th UK - the postage does get expensive when doing that but i find larry's prices are very reasonable

It wont be so bad if you are just ordering the smaller bits of wood (like top, fretboard and headplate) from larry and get the body blanks locally. Unless you have a supplier of myrtle or buckeye in australia i would imagine its th easiestw ay to get the wood you want

yeah the wood shop i go to had a crap load of wood it just has really bad open hours and i onyl go there when im ready to buy the wood so i can take one trip

ive been talked out of the buckeye mainly cuz its expensive and i could screw it up

i just wat to get an vague idea of wat i want then when i go out to the shop ill search alot throught the store for wat i want