Re Wiring A Mono 16ohm Cab...

radrobgray

im not sure how to do this and i have only found one site Shavano (down at the bottom). is there another way to do it so the left OR right jack can be used in mono like the marshall cabs? i would rather have it that way as its more fool proof and safer for the amp. also how do you check the switch if its rated for 15 Amps at 120 VAC?

I've made my cab, a 2x12, selectable between 4ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo with one toggle switch. There are two jacks on the back which will accept either one signal in either for mono configuration, are two separate signals when in stereo. The wiring shouldn't be too much of a hassle from 16mono to stereo - what's the ohm rating of your speakers and how many have you got? I could probably scratch up a diagram for you.

The switch rating should be stamped onto the switch itself (legal requirement), or specified by the vendor in their data, although at the ratings you've just quoted, pretty much any heavy duty mains-rated power switch should do the trick. Try your local electronics supply store.

If you use switching jacks you can do it so you dont need the switch, and the cab will automatically switch to stereo if more than one jack is plugged in :D

I like the idea, but I wouldn't trust it to last for any length of time. The contacts in those 6.5mm switched sockets aren't really designed to make, break or carry the kind of currents flowing in a speaker system. Particularly nasty if you're running a tube amp - all it takes is one dickey switching socket and you could be up for a new output transformer. I have seen it happen.

Particularly stupid design, a 6.5mm jack for a speaker system...but that's another story :D

all i could find at radio shack was:

6 amp 125 vac

10 amp 125 vac

The 10 amp one will be near enough. That switch is capable of carrying and interrupting up to 1250W @60Hz!.

This is true! The other way of doing it is the mesa boogie style three jack system with a jack for whole cab mono operation and two jacks for stereo Biamping. Pretty easy to wire up, just wire the stereo jacks as you would, half the cab to each jack in series or parallel or whatever, then continue both stereo connections to the mono jack. Works well :D

S

I've made my cab, a 2x12, selectable between 4ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo with one toggle switch. There are two jacks on the back which will accept either one signal in either for mono configuration, are two separate signals when in stereo. The wiring shouldn't be too much of a hassle from 16mono to stereo - what's the ohm rating of your speakers and how many have you got? I could probably scratch up a diagram for you.

i have four 16ohm speakers i want it to go from 16 mono to 8 stereo. thanks

This is true! The other way of doing it is the mesa boogie style three jack system with a jack for whole cab mono operation and two jacks for stereo Biamping. Pretty easy to wire up, just wire the stereo jacks as you would, half the cab to each jack in series or parallel or whatever, then continue both stereo connections to the mono jack. Works well :D

S

if both stereo connections went to a mono (that would bridge/mix them) wouldnt sending it to a stereo jack (and just put a mono jack in it) work since then the 2 stereo channels would be bridged only when a mono jack is inserted ?

Edited by Samba Pa Ti