A Purchase I'm Thinking Of Making

Carl762

I looked at buying one a while back. After doing a bunch of research and reading reviews I came to the conclusion that the line 6 toneport is a much better piece of equipment.

Granted I have neither, but thats just what I've heard. If I remember correctly, Drak and GregP have toneports so you might want to ask them how they like it.

(You would probably get more posts if this were in the players corner section)

I looked at buying one a while back. After doing a bunch of research and reading reviews I came to the conclusion that the line 6 toneport is a much better piece of equipment.

Interesting. I read the reviews for this one yesterday. I see good and bad reviews for both pieces of equipment. Thanks for the link.

Granted I have neither, but thats just what I've heard. If I remember correctly, Drak and GregP have toneports so you might want to ask them how they like it.

I'll keep my eye out.

(You would probably get more posts if this were in the players corner section)

Just a noob here. Thanks.

I have the TonePort-- it is pretty wicked-awesome. Even just as an I/O device, it's quite good, and when you add the amp modeling to that, you're in good shape.

Which brings me to my next point-- lately I've been playing more with the new Revalver Mk II, which is a software plug-in, rather than a software-based interface (like the TonePort), which makes it independent of the hardware. I can use whatever hardware I like (I tend to use the TonePort anyhow!). I find the tones in the Revalver are a bit trickier to dial in (you can really muck it up if you go overboard) and there are less community-made presets, but the harmonic content seems richer, and I get more string attack with Revalver.

In other words... I definitely recommend the TonePort, but I think that you should look for a good I/O device (which TonePort is... not so sure about Black Box) first and foremost, and then consider software plug-ins for the amp and FX emulation.

Greg

I have owned a POD and it was good. I have a couple of other modelers too; Yamaha DG1000 and a Magicstomp. When I found the Black Box at a good price I went for it. The M-Audio Black Box is a fine piece of gear. The sims are as good as I have heard in an outboard unit and the FX are pretty cool too, inspiring even.

I think the main strength of the Black Box is that it is a great stand alone unit for a performer to use (it has a built in mic-pre) as well as being a quality audio interface. I got mine for €155. I think that is cool. Just my 2 cents...