Wood Score!

Due to the damage from the Nor'Easter here in NY, I've been looking for some knocked down trees. Turns out the judge I appear in front of on a constant basis cut up an ash tree at his place and offered me some of the logs. They seem to be about 12" or more in diameter and about 20 - 24" in length. Maybe I'll have some useable stuff in a few years. Start up the bandsaw!

... the judge I appear in front of on a constant basis ...

:D I'm not 100% familiar with your legal system, but I really hope that you are an attorney or something :D

Well, they call me one, amongst other things. I'm an attorney that represents the local county, so that makes me a government attorney in the State of New York. I've worked with this judge on a continual basis for the last- gulp!- 15 years. I was going to saw up the wood and stick it to air dry. I have seen articles in Fine Woodworking on solar kilns, but I don't have the space for one. I do have a shed that probably gets pretty warm/ hot in the summer. I suppose I can vent it and try stacking the wood in there??? any suggestions?

That is GOOD to know!! It was also suggested in the forum that you can stick and air dry outside as long as it's covered. Maybe Rick500 can put together a small lean-to, use an old crate or something. Don't forget to keep it off the ground.

Saw them up ASAP, wax/seal the ends, sticker it (off the ground), weight it, cover with a tarp on sticks to allow airflow. And be prepared for loss of at least 50% to defects and drying cracks, etc. As long as it's not raining on it directly, outside is the best place to dry the wood, seasonal temp and humidity shifts and all. Maple also discolours if you wait too long to resaw it, starts going gray.