Jazz chords

the third eye

i just love 9ths, especially minor 9ths, lol :D

don't know why :D

they can be exchanged wif 7ths and vice versa pretty much wif out anyone noticin B)

my fav is the a minor 9th (i think thats the name... i dont remember anymore, lol :D) at the fifth fret

e|0

B|0

G|5

D|5

A|0

E|0

I saw McCoy Tyner give a speech, and he said "The most important thing about a chord is where it came from and where it's going, not the chord itself" Its the movement of jazz chords that gives a jazzy sound, rather than the chords themselves. And you can get by with pretty sparse voicings (2 and 3 note) and still get a great jazz sound, with the occasional big fruity jazz chord thrown in for effect. I guess what I'm getting at is that learning a few big jazz chords is still not going to sound at all like jazz.

If you want to get a (quick) handle on this, I highly recommend the book "Contemporary Chord Khancepts" by Steve Khan. It breaks it down into such understandable and usable chunks. You'll be playing great sounding chord lines after a few lessons. And they are very contemporary shapes that use a lot of suspended voicings, very hip, and "out" sounding, not the excruciating "All the things you are" 7th chord type of thing.

-Sven

• 3 weeks later...

nerd guitar's 9th chords are cool, try the following, it sounds quite good.

e--0--0--7--5

B--0--0--7--5

G--5--5--8--7

D--5--5--7--7

A--0--5--8--5

E--0--5--7--5

strum slowly, and laid back, clean

it uses a minor 9th, a diminished chord and a Dm7 chords.

mike