Semi Hollowbody With Piezo Bridge

Hello,

Yesterday night (late) I completed my guitar: a semi hollowbody with a piezo bridge.

18.jpg

The specs are:

Body

· Semi-hollow body

· Ash body with flamed maple top

· Finish: flamed black

Neck

· 1 piece of mahogany

· Wide fat contour

· Indian rosewood fret board

· Tree-of-life inlay

· Bolt-on

Pickups

· 2 Sheptone PAF Tribute

(http://www.sheptone.com)

· 1 L.R. Baggs X-Bridge (a piezo bridge)

Wiring

· 2 output jacks

· 5-way rotary switch

I published it on my web site (http://www.power-development.net) you can find the details under Guitars/SC-Hollow.

Here you can find more pictures:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

On my web site I also published the pictures of the building process, to see them just navite to "the building process" section and choose SC-Hollow.

As soon as possible I'll publish also the sound tests (if you want an example of what the Sheptones pickup can do, just give an eye to my guitar SC-Curved).

Let me know if you have any question.

Happy building to everybody! :D

That's a really nice guitar & very well made. The tip about using a sandbag when fretting is a great idea, I press them personally but I know a lot of people hammer them here. The maple's figure might have been enhanced by rubbing back a little & then applying another coat of stain but it looks nice anyway. You might want to get yourself a forstner bit for removing the bulk of wood from cavitys, it looks like a long, slow process with that 10mm bit :D

Thank you for your comment, I really apreciate it.

I actually rubbed the top and applied another coat of stain, the problem is that the picture I took is really orrible: I'll take another and post it.

In relation to the Forstner, you are completely right: I bought one when I finished the work... so I'll use it the next time :D

That's a really nice guitar & very well made. The tip about using a sandbag when fretting is a great idea, I press them personally but I know a lot of people hammer them here. The maple's figure might have been enhanced by rubbing back a little & then applying another coat of stain but it looks nice anyway. You might want to get yourself a forstner bit for removing the bulk of wood from cavitys, it looks like a long, slow process with that 10mm bit :D

I'm very pleased to explain how to do this kind of inlay.

The mixture: mix 14g of resin (resin + hardener) and add microbaloon (glass or phenolic) till you get a sort of clay (not too hard and not to liquid).

Then fill pattern you routed on the wood and let it harden for 24 hours. At the end, with a radioused sanding block, sand it.

It's very easy!

The color of the mixture can be changed using special color for resins (liquid or paste). You can also use powdered ones but you cannot use water based or solvent based colors (they cannot evaporate and they also damage the chemical structure of the resin --> the resin is a polymer).

My advice is to do some practice on scrap wood.

Let me know if this description is sufficient and don't hesitate to pose me any question.

i noticed that you did your inlays with epoxy how exactly do you make the mixture and is there anyway to change the color of it?

I'll work on it... Unfortunately I did not test the website with Opera... I don't know why but the server consider Opera as a mobile browser and opens the mobile version of the site (you can see it from the address bar).

Thank you very much for your post :D

It still doesn't load with Opera. I just use IE when looking at your site, but it would be handy to be able to do it from Opera.

• 1 month later...
What is the purpose of the two output jacks? Is there a different tone you can have for the second one with how you wired it? Do you have a wiring diagram of what you did? Great job on the build by the way, its making me want to do my maple top black too!

Hello!

I installed 2 output jacks instead of installing one stereo. On one jack I have the magnetic pickup output and on the second I have the piezo output.

The wiring diagram is very simple: for the magnetic pu I used a 5 way rotary control (wired in a PRS-Style) with a volume and a tone, the piezo has been wired only with a volume control.

Here are 2 links:

http://www.lrbaggs.com --> for peizo

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH5R1101 ---> for PRS style rotary

If you want you can wire a PRS-Style combination using a 5-way lever switch, here you can find more infos:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...gaswitches.html

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask me. :D

• 4 months later...