Padauk And Purpleheart Build

Hmm, on my first build I think I did 4 coats then wetsanded, then another 4, and wetsanded again. o well. I'll forgo wetsanding until the final coat is sprayed. Maybe I should do more than 20 coats, maybe 25?

Stew Mac says the lacquer needs only a week to cure, however I plan on waiting 2 weeks before wetsanding and buffing. Maybe longer if I can find the patience. I suppose I could work on another guitar in the meantime.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided to do this the right way and sand everything off. Too bad I wasted almost 1/2 of a gallon of lacquer :D

I decided to buy sanding sealer and clear grain filler. I suppose I can deal with the monetary setbacks, but I was soooo ready to put the parts on and play this thing next week. It'll pay off in the long run though.

• 4 weeks later...

Saaawwweeeettt! That turned out very nice and very alive! Stain? We don't need no stinking stain! Just use colored woods duh! lol Again, incredible guitar, it looks super comfortable to play, how does it feel?

So, was finishing that guitar a B-Day present to yourself?

Happy Bday :D and one more smiley for your guitars B-Day which is also today :D

Happy B-Day to the both of ya

Saaawwweeeettt! That turned out very nice and very alive! Stain? We don't need no stinking stain! Just use colored woods duh! lol Again, incredible guitar, it looks super comfortable to play, how does it feel?

So, was finishing that guitar a B-Day present to yourself?

Happy Bday :D and one more smiley for your guitars B-Day which is also today :D

Happy B-Day to the both of ya

how did you know it was my birthday haha? thanks though!

the neck feels unbelievable. I just kind of shaved off wood until I thought it felt right, but damn!! I really plays fast! I let a bunch of my friends at school play it (even though the nut isnt fixed down yet, but who really cares right?) and all they could do was rave about the shape of the neck. so thats sweet. Also, the cutout for the chest on the back of the guitar is super comfortable which is an added bonus. Even though I'm happy about how the guitar turned out theres still soooo much room for improvement. then again, if i could make perfect guitars then what fun would the pursuit of making the perfect guitar be?

I know what you mean about improvement! With each step I take I see the flaws in what I did and it makes me want to start another to avoid them, but it helps to finish and find ways to fix them and so on, plus it makes you become creative, which I have noticed is the key to luthiery, almost all issues I've seen overcome comes from some sort creative solution. As for you Bday, the bottom of the main page lists everyones bday each day. You and actually a number of other people I know have bdays today. I always look, just for fun and see peoples ages and such.

As for the neck that is great news, I was doing some more shaping on mine last night, trying to get that feel. Is it a uniform contour or is it asymmetric. I really wanted to an asymmetric contour, so I will probably remeasure the thickness now to make sure I don't sand into the CF rods or truss and then go for a asymmetric neck. I wanted something like Warmoth shows on their neck contour page. It just seems beneficial for me, but we shall see. Anyhow, congrats on the wicked instrument and have a great bday. J

its fairly uniform, i would liken it to a gibson sg neck profile. i definitely agree with you on improving though. every guitar i made i have learned something to improve on for the next guitar.

its been a pretty good bday for me so far. my girlfriend bought me halo 3, i finished (sort of) a guitar, my parents got me a sweet camera but i have to wait until i go home at the end of the semester to get it (Olympus EVolt E510 for those camera people here), and to top it all off i received a job offer from my top pick company to work for when i graduate in may!

Edited by wwwdotcomdotnet

Holy Crap, that my friend is an excellent Bday! Heck, just finishing a guitar like that would make my decade! I love getting video games for presents, lol, beats a pair of jeans anyday. I'll have to look up the camera, I totally dig cameras, but I just don't know or at least keep up to date with all the new technology. I will soon look for one though, at least a better one. And congrats on the Job offer, that is excellent news, hope you do well and enjoy it! It is some type of IT profession? Just curious as your name made me think of that, I'm actually going through college right now and am focusing on both math and IT, though I think I would like to teach online probably math, though Philosophy and psychology both interest me as well. Best of luck with the job and just think of all those beautiful giant thickness sanders and Laguna bandsaws you'll be able to afford, haha. J

oooooooooooo man. i just finished touching up some high frets and soldered everything up (ended up going with a typical gibson 2 tone 2 volume + 3 way switch instead of having two coil taps and a volume/tone w/ 3 way because my guitar is ~1.2 inches thick and the push pull pots are crazy tall).

wowowowowow this thing sustains FOREVER and it sounds a little brighter than a typical guitar, which is nice for a change. ive been playing it through my friend's homebrew 18 watt 1974x for about 90 minutes now and i cant stop!