Color Problem

Hey,

I have nice bookmatched maple, and I wiped on Black dye, and now it's not really sanding off. It just sort of stays there.... Should I go back to 120 or 150 grit?

Also, I want it to be a nice red mahogany when finished (similar to a lot of Les Paul Studios out there), but the red does not look right on top of the black-dyed scrap pieces I practiced with.

I'm certainly not going to jump the gun and stain it until I know, but I'm so close!!!

Any takers?

black might be too heavy for the red, maybe try a dark red or brown instead of black, sand off then red over. Post a pic of the finish you want & someone might have a suggestion of how to achieve it.

Unfortunately, my scrap is taken, and the black is on the guitar. I've went to 150, then 180, then 220, and finished with 300. It actually looks pretty good. The red that I have overtop of the black gives a reddish brown. I'm actually kind of please with it.

Does anyone have recommendations for a streakless finish when applied by hand?

It's alcohol, and the mix is right to the "T" as recommended.

Thanks

I can't say with any authority as I'm new to all this staining stuff myself. Often though the base coat is just a darker version of the top or sometimes the same colour. Usually when using stains over unfinished wood, repeated application of the same colour will make the finish darker. So staining red, sand back & then another coat of red will make the finish darker or deeper over the pre-stained areas. I've seen people use black as a base coat & it makes for a very dramatic finish but it looks much more subtle in that picture.

Hey,

I have nice bookmatched maple, and I wiped on Black dye, and now it's not really sanding off. It just sort of stays there.... Should I go back to 120 or 150 grit?

Also, I want it to be a nice red mahogany when finished (similar to a lot of Les Paul Studios out there), but the red does not look right on top of the black-dyed scrap pieces I practiced with.

I'm certainly not going to jump the gun and stain it until I know, but I'm so close!!!

Any takers?

I'd recommend seeing the David Myka tutorial here:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=12912

IIRC he puts on the darker colours & lightens them up with a water soakes cloth & puts the lighter colours on last...You don't have to do a sunburst to pick up the techniques...also check some the finished guitars on his site.

RobSm

OK, here is what I do... now you do need scraps to know how much you need to sand back to attain the color you want.

I will add a few pictures like a mini tut so you can see.

First stain the dark color you want to use. One secret I will let go is DILUTE THE DARKER COLOR WITH ALCOHOL!!! And the lighter with water, altho the dark will bleed a little bit, it won't be as blotchy or streaked as if you use water or alcohol for both.

Her is the piece stained cherry red and then sand back to were I wanted it.

DSC02790.jpg

Here is the same piece after I added the yellow.

DSC02791.jpg

As you can see in the "curls" it is a bit orange, but the clean areas are as yellow as the stain was. Now just replace the colors for yours. I can't tell from the pic you posted on that PRS what colors they used, but it might be either black or redish brown with a cherry top coat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02909.jpg

Here is the same piece that was shot with a tonner coat of cherry followed by more sprayed burst on the edge.