Frankenstein Pup Selector

grungehead

i want to turn my pup selector into a volume/tone selector.

im using a three way toggle and one knob, so that means i could have the switch 'down' to make the knob volume control, the switch in the 'middle' position for a tone knob, and the 'up' position as a kill switch (im only using 1 pickup)

i know you have to use a .047 capacitor on the tone knob for most humbuckers..

would this be a problem when i have the volume selected?

i spent a great deal of time on ms paint.. only to give up.

VolumeToneDiagram.jpg

here is just a picture of a knob, pickup, and three way selector. you can copy this into ms paint and draw lines connecting the 3 in such a way to make my dream come true.

peace

i want to turn my pup selector into a volume/tone selector.

im using a three way toggle and one knob, so that means i could have the switch 'down' to make the knob volume control, the switch in the 'middle' position for a tone knob, and the 'up' position as a kill switch (im only using 1 pickup)

i know you have to use a .047 capacitor on the tone knob for most humbuckers..

would this be a problem when i have the volume selected?

i spent a great deal of time on ms paint.. only to give up.

VolumeToneDiagram.jpg

here is just a picture of a knob, pickup, and three way selector. you can copy this into ms paint and draw lines connecting the 3 in such a way to make my dream come true.

peace

Why not use 1 push/pull pot and use the 3 way switch you have as the kill switch. I don't think you can wire this up the way you described. I am no wiring expert, so better to wait for someone with more experience than me. Just my 2 cents. Hope you find something that works for you.

so what happens to the tone when you put the switch into volume mode & vice versa? As an example what would happen if you had the volume at 5, switched to tone & put the tone to 10 & then switched back to volume?....answer: the volume would then be at 10 because that is what the pot was set to.

Not only would the tone/volume control setup be really confusing & difficult to use but it wouldn't actually be possible as far as I'm aware with standard pots & toggle switches. By far the easiest setup would be to have a volume knob, tone knob & kill switch. You could even get a concentric pot with volume on the top & tone on the bottom if you only wanted one knob....or just get rid of the tone control, most people leave it on 10 anyway.

You could just wire up a killswitch. It's pretty simple (I just did one over the weekend). As the one poster mentioned, you could have a concentric knob for Vol/tone and then use the empty hole for a killswitch (I'm I picture things right) - I'm at work so I can't see your image.

A kill-switch and cocentric pots... one for volume and one for tone. Sure, you still technically have 2 pots, but they only take up the space of one. To me that's a much better system.

For what you're describing to work, the potentiometers would have to be hooked up to a digital system (eg. a computer chip!) and be continuous encoders (no start and end points). We might get there someday (the technology itself exists... Behringer uses continuous encoders in their MIDI control surfaces) but we're not there yet. And I'm not sure that I'd really want to bother, when good ol' potentiometers work fine without finicky high-tech circuitry.

Greg