Real From The Fake

I have decided to refin a telecaster using used parts,I would like to pick up a used body to refinish.

I really don`t want to order a new one from anywhere because my understanding is that they all must vary in some small way from the original to be legal.I think for a little more I would rather pick up a real one.

The problem is that on ebay and other places I see a lot of bodies but I don`t know how to tell if they are original.

Could someone tell me how I can tell a reissue from the real thing.Or the real thing from a Japanese or Mexican one for that matter.

Or does anyone know if there is a place where they do comparisons where I could go to read up on it. Thanks

I don't understand why if you can't tell the difference with the naked eye, you truly need it to be an original Fender? After all, the guitar itself isn't going to have any collectible value if it's put together from parts.

Myself, I've been curious about the Eden bodies and necks. They seem too inexpensive to be real. :D

Actually you make a good point Gregp and I appreciate the response now you have made me curious about the edan bodies.I should have explained myself better though.

I already have a 1965 neck and both pickups.

I can`t afford to buy a 65 body in perfect shape but I thought maybe something newer that needs restoring.Call me nitpicky but I just don`t want to put all that original stuff on a fender copy body.

It isn`t about resale.This is as close as I will ever come to owning a 65 and I will keep it forever.Any one know how I can make sure I`m buying the real thing?

Gotcha!

Since it's not for resale and you're willing to settle for a newer (non-'65) body, and it sounds like you're on a budget, you can probably just trust your instinct. If it looks like the real thing, the seller seems legit, and the price seems right, then you're not really losing out. I'm sure you'll spot the truly "different" bodies, and anything else will pass muster... leaving you blissfully ignorant if it's not actually made in the Fender factory. :D If it's pricey and is being marketed as vintage, I'd find it hard to trust anything but an unbiased third party appraisal. Too easy for knowledgable people to spoof legitimacy, especially when the buyer already knows less.

I found a few sites on Google that seemed to have information, but it wasn't itemized as "identifying a Fender Tele body" and so I didn't sort through it. If nobody here turns out to be a Fender expert with a quick tip or two, it might require more research than is warranted under the "trust your gut" policy. :D

A way to tell a american from a mexican is under the pickguard you will see either 1 or 3 holes these are drilled to hold the body down during cnc machining and as the mexican plant uses adifferen style the use 3 holes as aposed to the ameican 1 as for the few japanese I have seen there isn't a hole.

I have a Mexican Strat with no hole so how does that work?...actually I've never seen a Mexican strat the same as mine so maybe it's a Fender made partsocaster :D

You should be ok with a Mighty Mite body as they are licensed by Fender as are Warmoth I believe

There's a topic on another forum almost exactly like this, except it's a 67 Tele. The advice given there was to check out USACG, especially the Web Specials page. Those are apparently very close to vintage Fender (which I understand varied from year to year, and even body to body). There are some premade bodies there, but if you contact Tommy he will make whatever it is you need. You'll probably save money too. :D