Has Any One Ever Just Sawed Off A Set Neck...

Because I don't like the thinness of the neck, or the wood (maple) of my 1982 Ibanez Artist, I am considering replacing the neck with one made more to my liking. I want to lower the resonant frequency of this guitar and change the thickness of the neck to a thicker profile (front to back), more like a '59 Les Paul round back shape. So, I'm considering making a new neck out of Black Limba, like the one Doug made for me for the Dean Cadillac copy I'm in the middle of constructing.

My question is this: Has anyone ever just sawed off the neck on a set neck guitar like this before? I'm thinking that I would first saw completely around the truss rod on all sides, close to the body. Then, after removing the truss rod nut at the headstock, pull the truss rod out. Then pull out the frets left on the fingerboard of the neck part still attached to the body. After that I would score the finish around the neck/fingerboard area, and set up a neck pocket jig around what is left of the fingerboard that is sitting proud of the body. Then begin to take out the majority of the neck wood left in the pocket area with a forstner bit. Then, rout the rest out, leaving a mortice for the new neck.

What do you think? I'm I forgetting something here?

Why not just build a guitar from scratch? Honestly, I think it would be significantly easier to build a complete guitar from scratch than try to rework an existing guitar (reroute neck pocket, etc). But, thats just my opinion.

Why not just build a guitar from scratch? Honestly, I think it would be significantly easier to build a complete guitar from scratch than try to rework an existing guitar (reroute neck pocket, etc). But, thats just my opinion.

I've been debating that myself. But, then I would have to build the body and do everything I've already talked about...twice as much work. Plus, I'm very happy with the rest of the guitar as it is. I refinished it a couple of years ago. If I built a whole new guitar, then I would still have this Artist that I don't want to play as much because I don't like the feel of the neck, or the tone of the maple neck.

In my opinion, sawing the neck off of a 25 year old guitar that has some future vintage potential is not a very good idea. Early 80s Artists in good condition are currently selling for around their original sticker price. As more and more Gibsons and Fenders become priced out of reach, the average buyer will look to other brands for vintage appeal and affordability. If you don't like playing it, put it back in the case and build (or buy) something else.

Just my opinion.

Being a refinish will hurt it's value a bit on the vintage market if it hasn't been done right, but even then you'll get more out of the guitar by selling it and then you can either buy or build a guitar that's made how you like it. I had several issues with the way Diezel rebuilt that guitar, but at least he used a competent luthier to do it clean.

It's your guitar, it's up to you. I'd just hate for you to wind up being one of those guys who took a router to a '56 Les Paul back in the '70s to install a couple of Super Distortion pickups just to sound like Boston.

Being a refinish will hurt it's value a bit on the vintage market if it hasn't been done right, but even then you'll get more out of the guitar by selling it and then you can either buy or build a guitar that's made how you like it. I had several issues with the way Diezel rebuilt that guitar, but at least he used a competent luthier to do it clean.

It's your guitar, it's up to you. I'd just hate for you to wind up being one of those guys who took a router to a '56 Les Paul back in the '70s to install a couple of Super Distortion pickups just to sound like Boston.

The last '82 Artist I refinished sold for $900 on Ebay two years ago, so I'm not too worried about that aspect of it. This one might go for even more, to the right buyer, because I had a MOP four leaf clover inlay put into the top behind the tailpiece, and refinished it in emerald greenburst...very cool Irish look. It's the one in my ID picture. However, I definitely see your point about lowering the resale value if I saw off the neck and replace it. I'm building two new guitars right now, so I guess I'll just keep this one in the case. I like it, but I can't play it for very long at a time because of the thin stock neck.

Edited by Stolysmaster

I sawed the neck of a through-neck I had built. (The first "guitar" I made, the one I didn't like to admit I had a hand in) and put on a new set neck.

It ended up being basically the same amount of work as building a new guitar from scratch. (Which I was doing at the same time.)

But like Wes says, there are tutorials on how to remove a set neck - I'd imagine it's a variation on the same heat/steam procedure you use to loosen any glue joint.