Friends, I am proud to unveil a project I have put off and put off for literally years until I finally garnered enough parts/time/motivation. I was watching years ago at Soulfly concert as Max Caveliera played an native Brazillian instrument called a Berimbau Now I thought that there could be a way to make a cheap electric version, and now I have.

I took a bent steel piece from a rack display from my Walmart days and coupled it with a tuner, an "A" string, and half of a split pickup.

now If I can just figure out how to get my sound sample on here.

www.fileupyours.com

O.o

thats weird.

could sound really cool if you added loads of FX

It doesn't sound quite like the real berimbau... however, the electric guitar doesn't sound quite like an acoustic either :D

The first time I read this thread I actually had a dream about it that night :D

When I played a berimbau a long time ago I remembered being able to make only two major notes, I think by pulling the string or something like that.

well to be really specific, no it isnt like a real berimbau. Technically its a bass electric berimbau. I can achieve that tinnier sound I believe if I use a regular guitar string versus a bass A string. You're right it does have some aspects of the whamola because you can change the pitch by pulling back (tightening the string) and pushing (loosening the string). If I use my cry baby on it I can get that "ah" and "oh" sounds that a real one can make. The only problem is that my two year old keeps jacking the stick I use to strike the string. sigh.

The whole purpose was to create something different based on the original, and I think I have done that!

:D :D

Thanks everyone.