Dr Seuss 8-string Bass (pibrocher's)

Well I can't believe it but I finally finished up this project. I mean oh my gosh; it's been well over 2 years in the making. Of course my moving to Oregon in the middle of it and taking a full year off didn't help any.

As I was finishing this beauty it occurred to me just how cool it would be to really make this a Dr Seuss tribute. A lot of people on the forum had mentioned how "Seusical" the headstock looked and so to them I tip my hat. They gave me the direction and now I have a bass that really has a great appeal.

The tribute came in the form of a hand-painted "Cat In The Hat" emblem adorning the 12th fret and a very Seussical truss-rod cover.

drseussbasscollage640xyr7.jpg

Here are a collection of other shots, full size...

12th Fret Dr Seuss "Cat In The Hat" Tribute

3/4 Shot across the top

Front of Body

Body Tail-end

Back of Body

Top of "Seussical" headstock

Back of Headstock

Thanks to everyone who has checked out the project. I am going to enter it in GOTM for July so come vote for it if you like the work. Cheers!

Thanks everyone.

The finish I used on this one is Satin Deft Lacquer. I used a sanding sealer on the big "flatter" areas to close the grain up. As you might imagine; those overlays had to be almost completely finish-ready when I glued them on because there is no feasible way to sand all those little pockets in the webs and on the ash underneath once the glue was set up.

I was leery about doing the web cause I didn't know how it would turn out either. I mean it sounded good on paper so it must work, RIGHT? Hah we all know how that goes...

Very nicely done! Lots of cool stuff going on with this instrument, from the double-course 8 to the headstock, body shape and mahogany web. Really good stuff.

A question on the octave strings; forgive me if this has already been answered 2 years ago, but is there a logical choice for putting the octave strings above the regular strings instead of below? I know this varies on 12 string guitars, to my ear I like the sound better if they are on top so that the pick makes better contact when down-stroking. But on a bass played fingerstyle, it's a bit different and I have no good feeling if "octaves on top" is any different than "octaves on the bottom" for this kind of instrument.

I spent quite a while trying to decide which way to run those octave strings. I decided ultimately to go with them on the top.

The worst part is that the tops of each string can't be at the same height or they won't make contact at the same time on the bottom (at the fret). So if you look at a pair of strings from the side you'll see that at the nut end the are flush on the bottom of the strings but down at the bridge I have adjusted the saddles so that they are flush across the top. This allows you to pluck both strings at the same time relatively easily when playing without a pick. It also makes slapping on this instrument possible.

The other thinking was that those octave strings are inherently shall we say "quieter" than the full bass string in each pair, therefore I thought it best to allow them to be hit first by the pick (when using a pick) and get the most bang for your buck on those octave strings. Besides, you know that big fat bass string will make some noise no matter how hard you hit it.

In the end it takes little adjustment for the player both in fretting and plucking/strumming but in the end this actually turned out to be a real delight to play. Which is ALWAYS a bonus.

You can hear me playing it on My MySpace page...

http://www.myspace.com/realityisover