Martin Vs Taylor

Martin VS Taylor  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am looking at buying a new acoustic and i like to play alot of classic rock stuff but some new blues stuff too....im looking for a guitar that i can play around a campfire....

my budget is about $800

what does every one suggest... and why?

(perferably acoustic/electric) if not then suggest a good acoustic pickup?please

Edited by Ferdinand_Oconner

Visit your local big box guitar stores. The only way to know how each one sounds and feels is to play them back to back. Make notes so you can remember what you like and dislike about each one. Take a friend to get a front-of-soundhole perspective. Play them amplified too, through as many different acoustic amps as they have. Then go home and sleep on it. Go back and try them on another day and take your notes with you. See if your first impressions were right.

I've found the best way to shop for an acoustic is to not worry about what it says on the headstock, just buy in your price range. I go around and pick out every single guitar that I can afford than play the snot out of them. It will become clear very fast which one feels good and sounds great. Sometimes your very surprised by the brand you have picked out.

Plus never online order an acoustic guitar. They very so much from guitar to guitar (even the same model) that sometimes you might get something good, and sometimes you might get something crappy.

I voted for Taylor, but it's like the whole Gibson v. PRS thing. Taylor has a more modern, trebly sound and Martin has the old school, folksy sound. My favorite acoustic is actually a Santa Cruz because they make 'em in the Martin pre-war style and they sound just as good as a Taylor with the Martin warmth, but they're waaay outta your range.

If you want a campfire guitar, get a Taylor Big Baby for about $400 or less. Best acoustic guitar under $1000, and it's also Bob Taylor's second favorite behind the 300 series. Amazing features and hardware for the money and they're quite easy to add a piezo to because the bridge is already routed for one. There's even a spot marked for the hole under the saddle!

Blueridge guitars are very nice. My brother got one and it sounds great, but the nut needs to be setup. I think some of their designs are based on pre-war guitars.

Here is the one he got: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blu...itar?sku=515098

It has a very open sound, and is especially suited for rhythm or finger picking but does well for lead to. The sound is very well balanced across the whole fingerboard and I really like the lows on it.

Here are the rest of them: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar/navi...ty=1&page=2

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

I have a friend who has an old Blueridge, made back before Saga bought 'em out, and I gotta say it's one of the crappiest guitars you can buy for the money. That was the first guitar I fitted a new nut to because the old one just cracked and popped off a big chunk one day and the crappy tuners fell apart. My friend now rolls a Taylor 810CE.

True pre-war style uses thinner and fewer bracing strips and thinner tops. You can't use modern heavy-gauge strings on pre-war guitars or their modern copies like Collings or Santa Cruz.

thanks for all the input i bought the new guitar today found this one guitar that had just what i wanted and got a great deal.... its a Martin DXME.... i went to 5 guitar stores and i couldnt find anything for close to the same price that played as well for me and had everything i wanted. still have money left over from my buget scine i paid $650 for the guitar and a case so i think ill invest in more parts for the electric im working on!!!

Thanks again everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a friend who has an old Blueridge, made back before Saga bought 'em out, and I gotta say it's one of the crappiest guitars you can buy for the money. That was the first guitar I fitted a new nut to because the old one just cracked and popped off a big chunk one day and the crappy tuners fell apart. My friend now rolls a Taylor 810CE.

True pre-war style uses thinner and fewer bracing strips and thinner tops. You can't use modern heavy-gauge strings on pre-war guitars or their modern copies like Collings or Santa Cruz.

Sorry, but...eh?

Depends how far 'pre war' you're talking. If you mean the small parlours built for gut strings, then yes, silk and steel is as far as you're going to be able to go with it. All those other Martins out there, the ones with the lighter bracing (scalloped or not, depending on vintage, but generally only 1/4" wide on the oldies), but generally the same number of braces and general positioning (forward shift X-brace or not, whatever) were built in the days before overengineering for warrantee claims, but also in the days where the lighest guage of strings you were likely to find, anywhere, were what we call true mediums today. Like, 13's and the like. So you certainly can use those on an old instrument.

Light strings are a modern invention, if we're talking steel. Most boutique/custom builders build for slightly lighter strings, but pretty much any steelstring guitar can handle a set of 13s. Most factory guitars sound best with 13s, although it's worth trying a few different guages to see which set your guitar likes best. Too much tension can actually 'choke' a top that's too light, it's all about balance.

You're dead on right about the Taylor Big Baby, though; fantastic guitar for very, very little cash.

Both Taylor and Martin make good guitars so I wouldn't take one over the other(it would totally depend on the group of guitars I was testing). If resale is your concern you will be fine with either company. If the playability and sound is your main concern. Forget the brand name and test drive guitars till you find the one that sounds right.

Peace,Rich