Anyone Ever Use A Floyd Rose Speed Loader Tremolo?

I don't know if he used it with any sort of regularity, but westhemann let me know (when I asked the very same question) that it's a quality piece of gear. I haven't had my hands on one yet, but I trust that assessment. My memory's fuzzy, but I *think* I recall him saying that he liked it as much or more than an OFR in terms of functionality if not aesthetics.

i hate the look of guitars with them... the ones without a headstock are just boring and the ones with a headstock with no strings just look plain weird.

That's the whole point of a speedloader. You DO have to buy special strings and get gouged a bit for them... but they're pre-stretched to general pitch, and after dropping them in, you only need the fine-tuners to bring them into accurate pitch. A side-note to that-- some eBay vendors use the word "speedloader" to describe licensed floyds that you don't have to snip ball-ends for. Those are NOT "Speedloaders".

I REALLY like headless guitars (which to me are more interesting rather than more boring) so I've always been looking out for options. I'm still worried that since the Speedloader hasn't really "caught on" it won't be long before strings are unavailable... but you never know. You can still get blank Betamax tapes if you try hard enough <laff>.

Greg

i can see how it looks more interesting. to some people...but just for me the headstock is an integral part of a design...

you cant have a guitar without one....maby a bass...but not a guitar.

Sure you can. :D

Steinbergers rule, IMO, and Kleins... but even better is something like Mattia's headless "travel scraps" guitar. Where the headless...ness... is such an integral part to the overall aesthetic that a headstock would actually ruin the design!

travel_scrap1.jpg

I've been looking at trying to track down a Speedloader in case I do a build with a trem. I'm leaning more towards a Kahler now, but I still think that if I bought a Speedy, I might just spring 10 bucks and get the cheapest set of black tuners I could find. I agree with you, Greg, there are certain shapes/designs that work very well, even BEG to be headless, but I know what people say when they say that there's something that just don't look right on a guitar with no tuners on the headstock. I personally use the headstock as a guide when playing to "feel" my way back to the first fret. I know that when I've reached the volute, it's time to stop moving the hand. I fear if I were to use a Steinberger, my left hand would be flying off the neck all the time!

This is the "making the body" post rather than the "making the neck" post, but I liked the pics better. <lol>

http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2007...uitar-body.html

You can see that there's a mini-headstocky-kinda-thing there. Easy enough to make a volute and give your hand some extra runway. I think a lot of the Steinberg "end of the neck" thing is in our heads but FWIW I primarily agree with you. My headless guitar will have a little extra space... not as much as the Forshage, but just enough that there's "something" there to feel for.

Aw, heck, I'll even post the neck build link:

http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2007...g-the-neck.html

Always think outside the bun, I mean box. :D

Greg