Another Build

Guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm EXTREMELY envious of all you totally build from scratch types, whereas, guitar hacks like me get dangerous when trying to combine and massage ideas into reality.

Mostly what I do is find instruments that give me some sort of inspiration, then rework them accordingly... routing, refinishing, rewiring, changing things around. And of course, if you want a good Tele, ya just have to bolt it together yerself. That goes without saying.<ggg>.

However, I thought y'all might get a chuckle out of this, which I built after I saw "Jammin Johns" online a few years back. I said, hey if he can do guitar shaped toilet seats, I can do a toilet seat into a guitar. So without further pontification:

dr59.jpg

Very cool. The only problem is that I started using the nice padded seats now instead of the wood ones. So that one you made wouldn't have the comfort I'm looking for, lol, jk. You got any progress pics of that guitar, Id' love to see how you made it. Is the seat and lid glued shut or latched or what, lol funny guitar. Nice stuff. J

The lid is screwed to the seat. The neck is inletted into the lid. There is also a 1/8 thick aluminum plate inletted under the lid in the neck area. That plate is screwed to the lid from the underside. The neck rests on the plate, and two screws go through the plate and into the neck, and two go through the seat and plate then into the neck. The plate, being fastened to the lid and spanning the inletted area is very rigid, and supports the neck very well. There is a 5/16 birch plywood back on the underside of the seat. The bridge is hardtail strat, and the pickup is a no-name ubber death metal/mondo-distorto type. And, amazingly it don't play half bad (sounds like .. well it sounds really harsh). The neck is a no-name fender clone, and it had the decal on it when I got it.

I know it might be stupid, a waste of money and time, but I think it would look sooo very cool to add a real crazy burl back, I guess it would somewhat ruin the whole idea of using a seat theme, but I think it would look cool anyway. Sounds like the neck attachment was creative and solid. I can imagine it took some planning to make sure the neck wouldn't jump out under string pressure. The one thing you need to do is throw in another pup then add a switch that looks like a toilet handle flusher thingy, lol just joking but I think that would add to the theme. Good stuff anyhow. Hope to see you start on a from scratch build sounds like it would turn out great if you did. J

Ya know a bigsby arm kinda sorta looks like a flush handle...

I wish I could get another pickup in there and "maybe" a dogear at the neck, surface mounted, or barely inlaid. The aluminum plate extends a little past the end of the neck and prohibits getting anything set into the "body" (lid).