New Stuff

johnsilver

I just got a shipment from Grizzly. :D

One cool thing is a digital caliper that reads in either millimeters, decimal inches or fractional inches e.g. 3/4". It really works. Hopefully, this will replace multiple calipers I use.

caliper

I also got a heat gun. It has two fan speeds and variable temperature so I'm hoping it will be versatile for things like softening binding, removing finishes or annoying the cat. At least I'll feel more manly than using my wife's hair dryer.

heat gun

Just for grins, I bought a cheap pneumatic nailer. My thought was to use it for light and occasional use for making jigs, etc. Not sure how long it will last. Maybe its like buying computer printers - they sell decent ones cheap and make the money selling brads / staples.

nailer / stapler

Its good to get new stuff. :D

Yeah, I use metric when I can, it's much simpler. But a lot of the reference dimensions i'm using, like nut width and scale length and pickup dimensions and all that good stuff that you steal from other resources to simplify planning, is all old school. So no metric on those.

Exactly.

I like my new calipers. :D

I just tried out the nailer / stapler. I've never used one before. I had a ball punching brads and staples into scrap baltic birch plywood. Probably doubled the weight of the plywood pieces with metal. He he. Don't know how long it will last but looks to be useful. Now I'll buy some different size brads / staples. Any thoughts on the most useful sizes for general hoo haa?

The heat gun with adjustable temp must be nice for plastic binding - with the one I'm using, (which has two settings, that seem to be both fan speed and heat) I find it's a struggle to get the binding to that perfect stage between "warm binding" and "melted binding", where it becomes flexible without changing shape drastically, and holds the shape you put it in after it cools.

The heat gun with adjustable temp must be nice for plastic binding - with the one I'm using, (which has two settings, that seem to be both fan speed and heat) I find it's a struggle to get the binding to that perfect stage between "warm binding" and "melted binding", where it becomes flexible without changing shape drastically, and holds the shape you put it in after it cools.

I played with the heat gun a bit. The variable heat is a great feature. Once you set it, a constant temp is maintained, and you can dial up or down and it responds quickly. At the lowest heat setting, I can hold my hand comfortably a few inches away without moving it. At the highest temp, better stand back cause somethings gonna blow.

Fair warning though. The gun is a little bigger that I thought when I bought it. Not too big by any means but bigger than my wife's mini hair dryer.