Short-scale Semi-hollow Bass

This project turned out very nicely, the black and the red go great together. :D So after playing it for a while, can you say how good that poplar is? I am concerned about using a softer wood, especially for a hollowbody....is it hard enough?

This project turned out very nicely, the black and the red go great together. :D So after playing it for a while, can you say how good that poplar is? I am concerned about using a softer wood, especially for a hollowbody....is it hard enough?

Thanks dude!

It's very hard for me to quantify the tone of the bass. Compared to my friend's Squier P-bass (which has 3-yr-old strings), it is brighter, more "guitar-like", slightly hi-mid-scooped, and doesn't have the endless sustain. I attribute this to the shorter scale and the semi-hollow body, but possibly the poplar contributes to that.

But I would take this bass over my friend's any day. It's very "alive". I posted a link to a soundfile earlier in the thread if you want to check that out.

Edited by Geo