Laminating Mdf

I want to laminate two pieces of 3/4" MDF board together to make a guitar body for a crappy Epi neck I have. I am not doing this for a permanent guitar, or even something nice, its just for fun basically. The MDF I have would definitely hold the bridge studs fun under the tension, however what I am worried about is laminating the two pieces. If you mess with MDF the top layer basically cracks off, but the inner is sturdy, however much more flaky. Hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean if you've ever done anything with the stuff. I'm just asking what my best options would be to stick to sheets together. I am thinking some Titebond and a few deck screws would hold the body together! At least for a while...Keep in mind, this is for entertainment only, and the guitar would be used as a complete beater in a band at school where I pretty much destroy what I play anyways (see: The Locust).

Screw and Glue (contact cement, urea formaldeyde, but plain 'ol PVA/Titebond will work just fine as well). It's how I build all of my molds and forms for acoustic guitar making.

Thing is....basswood costs the same amount or less than MDF, and is at least, y'know, wood. Doesn't 'thud' when you tap it and doesn't wreak havoc on router bits (MDF dulls edge tools).

Terry Downs over at TDPRI made an electric out of MDF. Here ya go:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-disc...html#post842180

CMA

That thread was awesome- I like how there were a few people complimenting the tone in the sound clip until he revealed it was an MDF guitar

my mate made one. it finishes very well in its defence! i would make sure that both gluing surfaces are very clean, glue with titebond, put a plastic sheet over it, and use sandbags to maintain equal pressure over it. make sure the mdf doesn't get ANY water on it, or you might as well bin it.

good luck :D

Unless you already have your mind set that you are going to use MDF, I would go with Mattia's suggestion and use basswood. Cost will be the same or less. You'll actually get a useable tone, and won't be nearly as heavy. Plus basswood works very easily and is very easy on your tools.

Its not a cost issue, its principle. I want a guitar thats made out of MDF, plain and simple haha. I plan on getting started next week!

I built a bass out of MDF once, and it sounded okay, admittedly it was a through body, and so had mahogany in it too, but it was better than expected. If you are lucky you might be able to find a piece of MDF thick enough for a body without laminating.