Finishing The Jackson

why did jackson put a veneer on a solid color guitar did it have a transparent before?

Even the older Charvels had some sort of veneer on the front and back. I think it was for dent resistance. The veneer is a very ugly brown color.

I dont know about the old charvels,its possible they used a much harder wood fromt and back for some protection - but that wont have been the case on this guitar!!!

It was just for the sake of general knowledge. I knew it wasn't the case for this guitar. :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing some of the work on here, especially WesV's, I think I will attempt to sand the finish a little, level it out, and give it another burst + clear. I feel that I made a good first attempt, but I feel it could be more than what it is. Advice is welcomed.

OK, did some sanding and re-bursting last night. Went to check on the drying and the hook my guitar was hanging from, gave way. I wathced helplessly as my month of hard work bounced off the cement in my garage. I am not going to be able to sand this down without seriously altering the shape of the body. It's not totally trashed, just not pretty. But hey, it adds mojo right? I will continue to finnish it and post pics when done. BTW, the re-burst looks really nice. I did it free handed. Pics to come.

Finish....

Huh?

Well, I tried to upload some close up pics of the damage, but no dice. Here is an updated body shot.

Picture977.jpg

No I wanna make it Finnish. Gotta pay homage to those early Finnish hardcore bands :D

I'll post a completion shot for your criticism soon. I'm sure I'll get torn apart...

The awesome news is that you've taken your first steps into refinishing guitars. Since my one and only attempt was a disaster, you're at least a few steps ahead of me. Learning new stuff and "going for it" rulez.

Thanks man. Anyone else got something to say?

I feel that this has definantly been a learning experience, with a slight learning curve :D

So what have we learnt today? :-D

No matter how many sardines you stick inside the control cavity, you can't finnish a guitar. :D