Beards

What do you do for a respirator if you have a beard? I tried using one, but you can't get the recommended seal around your mouth because of the hair. Are there pro-beard respirators or do the respirator companies hate bearded America? I don't want the lacquer to kill me just because I have a beard and the respirator won't function properly. Thanks.

I used to work with a guy who painted ships at one time. Of course they used full face respirators and the paint they were shooting was deadly to breathe. In order to get a good seal around his mask he would spread vaseline on his face. forehead etc. where the mask made contact. Having a beard you are SOL unless you put enough vaseline to fill the gaps, :D . Can you say gooey mess? When I worked as a "fairer" (a guy who preps boat hulls, deck, bulwarks by filling , sanding, masking etc.), I had to be clean shaven every day to prevent exposure to dust. It was something that was definitely noticed by supervisors, they let it pass but could get into some degree of trouble if WCB (Workman's Compensation Board) showed up for a surprise inspection.

But yeah, if you want to protect your lungs, you gotta shave it off.

Edited by Southpa

I'm glad to see this thread, I have a goatee (about half an inch growth). Would one of the full face respirators offer me proper protection? I'm getting ready to re finish a guitar for the first time and this topic is a bit worrying. I really don't want to shave the goatee off for several reasons but I am also very keen to try my hand at panting a guitar!

Hey dude, I got the same problem. Instead of an expensive full-face respirator or the vaseline trick, just hit an army surplus store and get a full-face gas mask. If you find the right place it shouldn't be more than $30, and they look bad-ass.

Actually you still need to be clean shaven for a gas mask to work properly. Any type of respiratory filter that does not have a positive air flow needs to seal completely on your face. The gas masks are the primary reason that military personel are not allowed to have more than a moustache. Anything else prevents a secure seal. Also, have you ever worn a gas mask for an extended period of time. They are not light or comfortable, and get rather hot inside.

i guess that its just the goverments way of kill of all the hippies and lumberjacks.

Full head hood.

you'll look like a low budget storm trooper, but its not that expensive (for 3).

also, im not sure it this works, but if you get like a dish towel and cut a mouth hole in that, you could try that around your head and put the respirator on top of it for a tighter fit.

Edited by Dan.

Oh, it's not bad...if you enjoy cancer (lung, liver, kidney, take your pick), the risk of respiratory anafylaxis, developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In lacquer, the tuolene in the solvent's the evil thing, but even waterbased finishes aren't 'safe' to use without the respirator. Not if you enjoy your lungs.

The first (and only) time I sprayed lacquer without a respirator, I got a nasty headspin. Just brain cells I'll never get back - and I was already running low.:D

Never again. I am truly amazed at how well those things really work. When it's working properly, you can't smell a thing! I even use one when I'm fitting PVC pipe together with that awful primer and cement.

The first (and only) time I sprayed lacquer without a respirator, I got a nasty headspin. Just brain cells I'll never get back - and I was already running low.:D

Never again. I am truly amazed at how well those things really work. When it's working properly, you can't smell a thing! I even use one when I'm fitting PVC pipe together with that awful primer and cement.

I use mine for everything from CA to epoxy to spraying clear coat. It's nice to be able to work without worrying about what your smelling.