Wip Strat

WIP Guitar

Something me and my brother knocked up in preparation for my Strat project. Was done at 1+ oclock last night so it's not perfect yet.

The guitar will be themed on the live earth art. It was inspired by a wallpaper on the live earth site. There will be other images at the point where the line meet. I'm thinking kinda like the statue of liberty you can find them on this link. Will post more images as the design improves and the guitar takes shape.

Tell me what you think.

Cheers, Will

(P.S sorry about the anti-alaising on the outline, I used gimp, the poor mans photoshop :D . I will improve this when I have the time)

Edited by Guitar WIll

I think it looks very cool. What technique are you going to use to emulate the "transparent layers" and the gradients? I suspect some airbrushing will be involved, but I don't know much at all about guitar painting. Too bad you can't use watercolours. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right, to paint it I could us a air gun, but I doubt that I will, because as the project progresses I will hand paint features on. This would be a big contrast with the smooth gradient that the airbrushing creates. I may use sprays, however not to sure how this would look because i have never used them before.

The guitar has been made now. It plays well, so I will dismantle it and begin painting soon.

It has a great 2 piece alder body, with a maple neck and fretboard (bolt on) with a quality wilkinson bridge and kluson delux tuners

A quick question though, would the nitro laquer react to the acrylic paint that i plan to use?

If it wasn't for the contouring on a Strat, you could cheat by getting it printed professionally and clearcoat the graphic....I suppose a vacuum bag might work depending on the flexibility of the medium you print it onto....probably not practical on a non-flat top instrument!

Go for it - it's a great refreshing look to a trad Strat!

Oh yes....reactions....test on scrap!

Edited by Prostheta

I don't have a problem painting it (i have had some of my artwork displayed in christies art gallery in london) so it isn;t the art side that worries me. More what will happen to the paint when I spary it. I did think about printing onto a clear coat, but this could lead to complications, such (as you suggested) ataching it. A vac bag will set me back about £400, so i don't want to spend a fortune on that.

I am more worried about the long term dammage that the chemical in the paint will have. I want it to last, not to fade or peel off after a year.

Thanks anyway though.