Rag Rolling!

Has any on tried the rag rolling technique for painting a guitar?

For some reason I remembered a time when I was a teenager and doing some decorating for my parents and they had me rag rolling a room. I have no idea why this popped into my head! It then occured to me that you could try it on a guitar, maybe 2 or 3 colours?

I'm trying to decide what to do a guitar of mine, I'm fighting the urge to go 5150!

I'm assuming I'd need a fair bit of clear over the top of it.

So you want to put a faux finish your guitar then?

Some Ballagio Faux maybe? Colored Plaster? Rag on, or maybe Rag off?

Color washing, or maybe some saran wrap faux?

Look up Behr (glazing techniques) paints online, it's all there.

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKES MAN, DON'T TELL LITCH ABOUT IT!

:D :D B):DB)

The problem with rag rolling is that it's so late 80's - early 90's...obviously not so much on guitars, I've never seen that, but I expect that it will look a bit naff after a year or two if not straight away. I guess it could be the crackle finish of the 00's?

interesting effect

i was kinda thinkin about this a bit a ago when i class(bored)i was rolling my glasses cloth in a pen then bunching it all up

when i undid it all it looked exacelly like flamed wood........sounds random dont know if u could get that pattern on to paint then wood

The problem with rag rolling is that it's so late 80's - early 90's...obviously not so much on guitars, I've never seen that, but I expect that it will look a bit naff after a year or two if not straight away. I guess it could be the crackle finish of the 00's?

The 80'sness of it had crossed my mind too :D !

Maybe the choice of colours would cobat that? I might find a random piece of wood to try it out on first.

When I was a kid and learning to play the guitar I loved the crackle / splatter etc finishes! Proper Whitesnake / Def Leppard stadium rock look! :D

Fond memories!

Maybe I should add that the guitar I want to re finish is pointy headstock superstrat type from the late 80's!

Edited by Dylanwad