Nickel Single Coil Pickup Covers

Jonathon

Hey guys,

I've been searching around today compiling a list of the stuff I need to make my guitar, and it's long! I didn't realise how long it would be haha! Anyway, I'm going for an HSH setup on the pickups and I'm getting the humbuckers with nickel covers. Problem is, I want the pickups to be uniform and therefore need nickel pickup covers for the single coil one. Anybody got any ideas where I can get these? I can't seem to find any! If nickel is close enough to chrome I could probably live with that too. Preferably in the UK.

Many many many thanks,

Jono

IF you found acceptable single-coil covers (no holes) you could still get the job done. Take the $10 charge for the covers off by getting exposed coils instead, and then buy the hole-less 'bucker covers to go with the hole-less single-coil covers. I got mine from Brian at Universal Jems, I believe.

But... that's IF you found the single-coil covers. I haven't seen any, myself. Only if you bought actual Lace Music Chrome-Domes.

Incidentally, found a UK supplier that has the ones with-holes:

http://www.axesrus.com/axepupcovs.htm

Greg

Take the $10 charge for the covers off by getting exposed coils instead, and then buy the hole-less 'bucker covers to go with the hole-less single-coil covers.

The no-holes HB covers are originally intended for HBs without adjustable pole pices. They might work, but you will have to make sure that you can get the cover flat against the top of the bobins and also pot it somehow. If not there is a big risk that the pickup (the cover) will get microphonic and squeal. You can pot it with wax, but for a thing like that (just adding a cover) It is possible to use silicone or any other stuff that will hold the top of the cover so it doesn't vibrate.

METALSUSTAIN: the tricky part is finding plain no-holes single-coil covers. The humbucker covers are plentiful.

SL: Nah, you're thinking too much. :D The covers are non-magnetic and won't interfere with the operation of the pickup. You can have them a few millimetres away from the polepieces if you want (though, mine were only a millimetre, if that). And they're usually a tight fit. To avoid microphonics, you just need to make sure that they're not scratching against the polepieces-- no need to wax pot them. A little cloth barrier (I used an old t-shirt that was in my "to become a rag" pile) will work fine. The covers 'vibrating' (if they even can--like I said, they're a pretty tight fit) won't cause microphonic feedback without direct friction on the polepieces. Indeed, unless you're good at re-potting pickups and have more patience than me, I'd recommend against it-- the coils on "exposed" humbuckers are still generally already wax-potted and there's no point messing with the factory potting job.

Greg