Hey all, new guy here. I am going to try my hand at building a guitar because, as much as I enjoy playing guitar, I seem to have more fun buying and selling different ones and trying them all out. I can never quite find something that is exactly what I am looking for, so I want to make one for myself.

I was pointed here by a guy named RGGR who posted up some sweet 7 strings on sevenstring.org.

The only thing I have done towards building my first guitar is buy a book called "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock, that was recommended by many people on this forum (I found it by searching - thats right! Searching :D)

I don't plan on posting too awful much, because this site has so much information on it already search should help me out, but I wanted to say hello and thank-you for building this excellent resource!

Well, its sounds like your well on your way. That book combined with this forum add a few of the main sites tutorials and you should be able to whip out some guitars. Funny, that RGGR told you about this place, when I first found my way here I read for a couple months and ended up asking RGGR some questions and he helped me out a lot and gave me some pointers. It really helped me out a ton and gave me the idea that I could accomplish building a guitar if I tried and followed advice given(Thanks for that RGGR!).

I was surprised at how much I liked the building part of it all. I always thought playing them was the most fun, but now I am not so certain. The search feature is a huge help and go through the "forum tutorials and reference" section. If you go into the "solid body guitar and bass tutorials and reference" section, you will find a lot of the important information like neck angles and such. These threads will give you much of the information you need, BUT having a good understanding of these ideas and what all the terms mean, will make understanding and reading these sections easier.

Understanding and patience are key. Make sure you clearly understand what you are doing and take your time and enjoy it. Best of luck my friend and I hope everything goes well for you, by the sounds of your post you are going about this in the proper way and will be building nice guitars in no time. Enjoy. J

Best advice I can give you is to go all the way back to the first page ever posted and start reading the topics backwards(start in solidbody chat)

by the time you read about 100 pages of topics from the beginning,you will know ALOT about the basics.back then there were fewer posters but they were very serious,so you don't have to wade through alot of chatter.