Curious As To The Worth Of A Guitar...

I walked into a pawn shop the other day, and, as usual, I ended up putting a guitar in layaway. The guitar in question is a 1974 Fender Telecaster Deluxe that plays beautifully, but has seen it's fair share of nicks/scratches/etc...

I don't own a price guide, so I'm kinda curious as to the worth of it.

Any ideas?

-Devon Goodspeed

Maybe get over to the Tele forum for better info, but then again, keep your location a secret. Tele freaks are a lot like Les Paul freaks. Meaning if they think it could be a good deal, they'll go after it, and somebody could even get hurt. You know every time you hear about a car driving into a house, it's always an LP or Tele freak on their way to score a deal.

hahah, whoops, sorry about the 1947 thing. I really just bought it because it plays beautifully and just couldn't let it go. It was kinda funny though, it had a big sign on it that said "not for sale" when it was hanging behind the counter and the guy told me that the sign was just so dealers wouldn't buy it and try to resell it....

;-)

-Devon Goodspeed

It depends on who you are. If you're the guitarist from Coldplay, you're gonna pay whatever you're worth. If you're average joe looking for a good deal, I wouldn't pay more than what you can buy a reissue for. They aren't the most highly sought after guitar because Fender made waaaay too many of them to make them worth that much, and they suffer from some bad CBS era gremlins. It's not 1987 and it's not a 1959 Les Paul.

About the only things sought after on that guitar are the Seth Lover-designed pickups. Throw those pickups in a brand new reissue and you'll have a guitar that's better than either the original or reissue.