Question Aout Scarf Joint Heel Damage

Hey, Theres a guitar im interested in buying from Music go round online, its a good price, cheaper than they normally go for, only issue is theres a crack in the scarf joint heel (its a setneck)

He said it functions fine and was repaired, the only issue is you can feel the crack when you move your hands over it, but I dunno..

Heres exactly what the online rep told me about the guitar --

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to go see my tech to get the real story on thecrack. He looked at it and explained that the type ofjoint used at the factory to attach the neck is calleda scarf joint. The heel and the neck are actually twoseparate pieces of wood to begin with. He said thatthe wood was never actually cracked open, but ratherthat the joint itself actually moves (just as the woodin any guitar expands and contracts with weather,humidity, etc.) The expanding and contracting in thiscase has caused the shell finish to crack whichexplains why the crack can be felt when you run yourfingers over it. The joint is therefore about as solidas it ever was. Does that make sense? If not, trylooking up "scarf joint" on the internet and that willgive you a visual image of what's going on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanna put pics up to see what you guys think.. Its a really great price and good deal hes giving me due to the crack, so im very tempted, but if its something that is just going to get worse with time, obviously thats not good.. but if it doesnt look too bad, or if its fixable by just putting afew coats of lacquer on it, that would be ideal.. Tell me what you think, THanks

4z3f43t.jpg

6gxt8a1.jpg

5z3wxzb.jpg

5ykozkz.jpg

Edited by SLushe

this is not a scarf joint, it's just a regular joint. I use this tecnique all the time to make neck stock thicker, so that it can be set in the body.

If it's cracked, it should be repaired and refinished.

And I've heard and read a lot about joints moving (creep?) but I've never seen that in real life.

hard to tell just by looking at the pictures.