Cheapest Way To Remove Paint?

If it's the thick poly finish that is used on the more recent ones and not lacquer, emery cloth is going to take a long time. What is you final goal with removing the paint? If it is to only re-paint it another opaque color, just skuff the top up with some 180 grit and paint over what is there. If it is to do a transparent finish then you have to sand all the way down. The quickest way is with some 60 grit paper and a sanding block.

You're right, I am surprised. I've used emery cloth to clean up copper tubing before soldering and never though of it as that abrasive, while 60 grit will do a nice job of ripping skin from your knuckle in one shot. But I have a body that I am going to refinish in a few months, so before going to the heat stripper or 60 grit I will have to give the emery cloth a try first and see what I get.

im currently stripping a body and i used this stuff called "circa" i believe...well thats the brand name of it. its a spray on everything remover. used for furniture...its about $5 canadian...i sprayed it on. let sit for a few minutes and use a paint scraper it stripes right down to the primer with great ease...alot easier than id imagine stright sanding to be. i didnt completely strip the body with one can though...you'll need two

hope this helps a bit!

ps. you can get it at your local hardware store.

saftey:

this stuff is potent. read and re-read the instructions. youll need a respirator mask (a small gas mask) eye protention. chemical gloves...the works. you dont want this stuff on or in you.haha

Edited by tropicalorange