problems fretting

i´m having problems fretting my first guitar :D , the frets gets non-parallel, with 1mm differences, whats the best method to avoid this¿? it happens in fret 7 to up

i´m thinking in do a clear-plastic fret rule... to check the frets

someone got more ideas?

Is this in a pre-slotted (by someone else) fretboard? One other possibility is that the fret slots were cut much too wide. Do you know the slot width and the tang width of the fret wire?

The first thing to make sure of is that the slots are cut properly. If they are, check the dimensions that I mentioned above. If everything still looks OK, can you tell us what method you are using - hammering in or pressing?

ya, sounds like you just need a straight edge to level the frets no worries, usualy a steel percision edge is favored, but a plexi glass one might do for now, have a look at stew mac to see what i mean. but listen to davek for doing other fingerboards, did you check out brian's tutorial or fretting/refretting a neck, he taks about how important it is to prep the neck before fretting for avoid this

Oh, maybe I misunderstood - are they non-parallel meaning the height is not correct or do you mean that the distance between any two frets is not constant? I thought you meant that the bass side would be Xmm from the next fret and the treble side would be X + 1mm from the next fret.

If it's the height, then Derek is correct, just level them as you normally would. It's fairly common to have to do this. If it's the distance between frets, then you've got a more interesting situation to deal with.

What is 0.6mm in american/english?? I know the most common fret slot (and tang) is 0.024 inch. There are others. Make sure you used the correct fret saw before you go crazy on this. Maybe you can buy a fret with a wider tang and it will fit the slot or maybe you have to start over. Boards are fairly cheap especially if you just buy a board cut to thickness and do the shaping and fretting yourself.

Check out "Make your Own Electric Guitar and Bass" by Dennis Waring & David Raymond. It's got a ton of great info on all aspects of building your own guitar in both bolt on and neck through.