Highly Figured 25.5 Bocote Fretboard For Sale

zyonsdream

thats flat sawn bocote - not really showing any figuring though!

here is a peice i have:

18.jpg

Well, compared to most that I see for sale mine is nicely figured. Yours is nice too but I’m not really seeing a ton of difference. I love bocote but the guitar I was going to use it on is made of sold birdseye maple so having a lighter board wasn’t going to look right.

my point is that both yours and mine should not really be classified as highly figured - because all we really have is a piece of ordinary bocote that has been flat sawn rather than quarter sawn

Your description is misleading. It should read 'flatsawn bocote fretboard' rather than 'highly figured bocote fretboard' - maybe add something like 'unusual/beautifull grain' to the ebay description to get the point that its quite a nice peice across to your buyers

its a semantic debate i suppose rather than an actual criticism of the wood

It is not uncommon to see grain in some woods desribed as figure. Not really accurate as there are rare figures that do actually occur in bocote, but I don't think it is actually misleading(beacuse the picture really tells the story). Flatsawn with wild grain may not make for the best choice in fretboard wood, but people do seem to like the look enough to use it.

I was curious about how you slotted the board(handsaw, circular saw, slotted by stew or LMI or ?). Just looking at the picture the slot widths look a little different, and I am not sure if that is shadows or something to do with the pic. It would be a good idea to disclose more information about the slotting, widtth of slot and such.

Peace,Rich

It is not uncommon to see grain in some woods desribed as figure. Not really accurate as there are rare figures that do actually occur in bocote, but I don't think it is actually misleading(beacuse the picture really tells the story). Flatsawn with wild grain may not make for the best choice in fretboard wood, but people do seem to like the look enough to use it.

I was curious about how you slotted the board(handsaw, circular saw, slotted by stew or LMI or ?). Just looking at the picture the slot widths look a little different, and I am not sure if that is shadows or something to do with the pic. It would be a good idea to disclose more information about the slotting, widtth of slot and such.

Peace,Rich

I think it may be the picture. I took it with a flash so that would account for some shadows. My camera is not the worlds best to say the least.

I used a .023 saw, a precision miter box, StewMac fret slotting template and cut them by hand. They will fit StewMac and LMII fret tangs that are press fit. I’ve been making them this way for a while now and have never experienced any issues. I tried to match my auction off of some of the more successfully fret board sellers online so I really didn’t realize that I would need more information.

All of the fret slots are a uniform depth and width.

As for arguing semantics, I just don’t do it. Rarely does it ever improve a situation.

Most bocote that I see online is just a plain tan with a few black streaks in it. Obviously grain patterning is different than figuring so I guess if one wanted to argue about it I would be wrong in calling it figured but I really don’t think I was trying to mislead anyone. The picture clearly shows the grain pattern which is well above par for what you’ll usually find online.

So regardless, both pieces are very nice and are well above what you’ll usually see online.

I actually hope this auction doesn’t sell because I secretly want to keep it around until I find the right job for it!

Edit: out of professional courtesy, I edited the title of my auction :D

Edited by zyonsdream

you can feel free to ignore me when i am being contrary - i broke my little toe yesterday so have been a grumpy sod limping around all day today.

Although i do think your new ebay description will draw in more people, i tend to avoid them when i disagree with the description

you can feel free to ignore me when i am being contrary - i broke my little toe yesterday so have been a grumpy sod limping around all day today.

Although i do think your new ebay description will draw in more people, i tend to avoid them when i disagree with the description

Never broke a toe! Shattered a shoulder once and I've had 3 pins and seven surgeries on my right ankle so I can understand your grumpiness :D

Sorry to hear about the Toe Wes, Hope it heals okay. I cut the end off of my second toe on the left foot about 3 weeks ago (DON"T ASK HOW!!!!) Man I forgot what bone really looked like. 12 stitches later and 4 hrs at the ER, Just got the stitches removed today. Man that feels better. SO I know the feeling LOL:)))

Take care

Mike

Sorry to hear about the Toe Wes, Hope it heals okay. I cut the end off of my second toe on the left foot about 3 weeks ago (DON"T ASK HOW!!!!) Man I forgot what bone really looked like. 12 stitches later and 4 hrs at the ER, Just got the stitches removed today. Man that feels better. SO I know the feeling LOL:)))

Take care

Mike

Sorry to get off topic here, maybe we should start a new thread describing our best (read worst) injuries. So Mike..... since I would like to respect your wishes for not asking how you did it....HOW DID YOU DO THAT!!??

Oh man I hope I never have to see my own bone exposed.

Cheers - Greg

Take care

Mike

Sorry to get off topic here, maybe we should start a new thread describing our best (read worst) injuries. So Mike..... since I would like to respect your wishes for not asking how you did it....HOW DID YOU DO THAT!!??

Oh man I hope I never have to see my own bone exposed.

Cheers - Greg

Walked out in the shop barefoot at night and turned the wrong set of lights out. Then stepped on something VERY SHARP!!!! DUH!!! A DA I am. LOL:)) MK