What More Do I Need?

Sean O

I'm planning on building my first guitar, I chose to buy a pre-cut body now, and cut my own when I rotate into wood shop in the spring. Anyways, would you guys tell me if I'm missing anything from my order? I have to learn eventually, right?

LIST:

Flying V2 Body Mahogany

Mahogany Flying V Neck w/ Rosewood Fretboard, Truss Rod, Cover

.90 Black Matte Pick Guard

Antiquity Neck/Bridge Pickups

Gotoh Tune-O-Matic Stud Mount Bridge/Gotoh Stop Tail Piece

CTS Brand 500K Pots x 4

CAP1 Capcitors

Black Pickup Covers

Switchcraft Brand Stereo Jack

Black Push on fit Metric Shaft Bonnet Knobs

Wire

Black Switch Plate

Humbucker Mounting Rings

Strap Nuts

3 Left Tuning Machines and 3 Right Tuning Machines

3-Way Selector Switch

What am I missing?

P.S.

I modified this from my list in notepad, I felt that putting the price of stuff was really none of your business. :D

Anything I'm missing?

Neck screws/bolts

neck plate(depends on attachment)

maybe threaded inserts for neck bolts

cavity shielding tape

pickguard/humbucker mounting ring screws

How is the neck attached? If the neck screws/bolts will be recessed you can do it without the metal plate and just four screws. You could also use threaded inserts for neck bolts, instead of screws. If you want/need more info on the threaded inserts, try the search function on this forum, there have been quite a few threads that have dicussed this in detail and will help you to decide if its for you. You could also add some some copper tape to shield your cavities, but thats completely up to you. There might be other things you need, seriously I end needing something new every other day, but mainly tools and things like glue, sandpaper and so on. Well, best of luck and keep us posted on progress. J

I swear sometimes things just slip my mind. I saw body and neck separate and instantly thought bolt on, I need more sleep I think.

Did your body come with an electronics cavity cover? Just curious, if not you'll need one. And if you want any inlays, you'll need some shell for the fretboard, dots are easy and can be ordered easily, or you could go more intricate. J

Hmmm.....

As a noob myself I had exactly the same situation.

What I did was to make a comprehensive list in a spreadsheet (to allow easy edits!) of EVERY single component I would need....and I do mean EVERYTHING! I broke it down into headings like BODY, NECK, ELECTRICS etc. For instance, it lists not only the screws needed, but how many, which size and type, and which colour. Some items were just a Y/N, like eg. Headstock binding Y/N? If Yes, size/colour/#plies etc etc. If you just sit down (ideally with some actual guitars to hand) and pour over every tiny detail, making a list as you go, I found it really clarified what I would need to get/think about/etc.

Not only did it serve as a buying guide, but it also helped to organise my mind!

It also helped me to decide on colours for the hardware, and to make sure it would all match up. I mean, no point having chrome tuners and a gold bridge really eh??

I have yet to find anything like this on the 'net. I've never seen a useful list/tool where you just pick the options appropriate to your desired build. Maybe I should do something with this.....hmmm!

If do decide to go down this route, be advised that the list starts to get pretty long!!

I haven't even mentioned tools, sundries etc!

Hope this helps!

Edited by djhollowman

Hmmm.....

As a noob myself I had exactly the same situation.

What I did was to make a comprehensive list in a spreadsheet (to allow easy edits!) of EVERY single component I would need....and I do mean EVERYTHING! I broke it down into headings like BODY, NECK, ELECTRICS etc. For instance, it lists not only the screws needed, but how many, which size and type, and which colour. Some items were just a Y/N, like eg. Headstock binding Y/N? If Yes, size/colour/#plies etc etc. If you just sit down (ideally with some actual guitars to hand) and pour over every tiny detail, making a list as you go, I found it really clarified what I would need to get/think about/etc.

Not only did it serve as a buying guide, but it also helped to organise my mind!

It also helped me to decide on colours for the hardware, and to make sure it would all match up. I mean, no point having chrome tuners and a gold bridge really eh??

I have yet to find anything like this on the 'net. I've never seen a useful list/tool where you just pick the options appropriate to your desired build. Maybe I should do something with this.....hmmm!

If do decide to go down this route, be advised that the list starts to get pretty long!!

I haven't even mentioned tools, sundries etc!

Hope this helps!

Thanks mate, I'm actually doing that.