Iceman Style

Yeah, after about 8 months of work I finally finished it.

f8298a8b.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/R...an/81a7dd1b.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/R...an/496b114f.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/R...an/37454825.jpg[

heres another shot, but the color is a bit too red:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/R...an/a1fee429.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone that helped me out in the process, I probably wouldn't have had completed it without the help.

no, the fretboard is rosewood I got a rockler. I finished it b dying it brown, then sanding in the middle, and then applying red. once I had that done, I let it dry for maybe 2 hours, then I went at it with danish oil, applying it liberally, and then wiping it off after 20 minutes. once that was done, I went on vacation for a week, and when I can back I rubbed it out with mineral spirits and steel wool, and then finally with some paste wax to buff it. the sheen isn't as high as in the pics, but it still isn't flat at all.

That maple it's great, but I think that you needed to take a little more time to prep it before staining it. Like BigD some many months ago, I can see places that needed more sanding and the stain just soaked more (blotchy) right over the controls, and right above the controls there is a like that looks like a scratch... I marked this areas on the copy below

Ice.jpg

I like the Iceman shape, and I think that this guitar has so much potential, just needs a little more attention. Please, take this as a critique, I think that a lot of people just praises around here and don't give true feedback, thus not helping the person get better! Staining might seem easy, but a stained fade is pretty hard to attain, I have literally washed stain from tops, and when that didn't work sanded back tops a few times because it didn't look right!

yeah, I wanted to bind it, but I had a arm rest and I figured that would be a pain. I agree that the finish could use more work, but I refinished it once, and that might be why it looks a bit blotchy. my next one will of course take all this into consideration. (yeah, it is very addicting.... they should have you do this in rehab...)

I like the variation on the Iceman shape. You can tell it’s a relative of the IM but it is different. It gives us something new to look at.

I liked the finish and didn’t notice any abnormally dark sports until pointed out. Who knows, could just be the flash on the camera. I know I take a lot of pictures and when I get them on the computer a lot is lost in translation!

Great build!

I like the

I like the variation on the Iceman shape. You can tell it’s a relative of the IM but it is different. It gives us something new to look at.

I liked the finish and didn’t notice any abnormally dark sports until pointed out. Who knows, could just be the flash on the camera. I know I take a lot of pictures and when I get them on the computer a lot is lost in translation!

Great build!

I like the

no, you can see it in the actual guitar, but its not as bad as the pic.

I liked the finish and didn’t notice any abnormally dark sports until pointed out.

That my friend is because you lack the critical eye of an artist, such as my self or my budy Da Vinci :D

no seriously, may be you haven't done a guitar with figured wood, when you test on scraps, that's when you understand the concept of staining and what makes it look good or bad, and THEN you tend to see this defects stand out in front of you. Unfortunately, these defects are a lot more visible on pictures, like everything else.

I liked the finish and didn’t notice any abnormally dark sports until pointed out.

That my friend is because you lack the critical eye of an artist, such as my self or my budy Da Vinci :D

no seriously, may be you haven't done a guitar with figured wood, when you test on scraps, that's when you understand the concept of staining and what makes it look good or bad, and THEN you tend to see this defects stand out in front of you. Unfortunately, these defects are a lot more visible on pictures, like everything else.

I've done figured tops but when I look at pictures I tend to glance and go with my gut reaction. If you study anything long enough you'll find a flaw! Might be why I won't own a Gibson any more.....

a later stage of what? If the guitar has finish on it, it's not trivial to strip in order to prep the body for binding. :D It looks like there's currently no clear on it, mind you. Is that correct, rubberchicken?

That's right Greg, but I think this guitar is close to being outstanding, if it was mine I'd be fixing up the few little details that have been discussed, do any other prep and then I'd drop it off with someone who had a lot of binding experience and then put the finish on. That's just my daydream, TTFN :D

yeah, I wanted to bind it,

Cool, its always a job you can do at a later stage, I snapped a shot to illustrate the kind of binding I mean.

54jt5hf.jpg

dang, maybe it's just because the pic above looks a little blurry on my monitor right now, but what is that, like 17 ply binding?

@ Rubberchicken: Beautiful work. I really like this take on the Iceman. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said.