Wood Working Mistakes

I was wondering when venturing into building guitars, i'm sure mistakes are made at times even if your well experienced in the luthier trade. After a mistake is made like gouging to much wood or a carving mistake, would you use Minwax Wood Filler & High Performance Wood Hardener together to try to replace wood? I made have made a mistake & may need some tips on how to repair it. Thanx 2 All In Advance.

There are many materials you can use to patch wood. Will the area be under an opaque finish. If it will and you are concerned the area will be subject to getting banged up a lot, then maybe a two part epoxy might work as a filler. Anyone know how well paint would stick to that?

It'd be easier to offer suggestions if you included more information.

Todd

There are many materials you can use to patch wood. Will the area be under an opaque finish. If it will and you are concerned the area will be subject to getting banged up a lot, then maybe a two part epoxy might work as a filler. Anyone know how well paint would stick to that?

It'd be easier to offer suggestions if you included more information.

Todd

I'm sorry, the problem is mainly where I drilled the holes for the tuninig pegs. Their a little nicked up & just don't have that professional look although u can't see it when tuners are installed. This is still in the beginning stages as sander sealer hasn't been applied or pickup cavities haven't been routed.

Edited by carlosnelson

If the tuners cover it, what's the issue? Any repair you do will not change the strength if it is only a nick in the headstock. Unless you are a perfectionist, I would use a non-shrinking filler such as epoxy to fill the mistake and put a veneer over the headstock. Issue solved!

Maybe on the next one don't thin the headstock to its final thickness until after drilling the tuner holes. This way you give yourself room to remove the chipping. It doesn't sound like you have much of an issue if the tuners cover it, so don't make a bigger mess trying to fix it.

As for mistakes along the way: It sucks, but we've all made "firewood"... live and learn I guess.

-Doug

The cord on my router got stuck on a clamp one day when I was routing a neck pocket on a telecaster. I ended up taking a nice chunk out of the side of the pocket. Luckily it was black walnut and I was able to make a piece and glue it in. The buyer couldn’t see the mistake! All was good.

Do you have any saw dust left from the headstock? If I have a chip out (like tuner holes) and I really want to match the wood I’ll mix the sawdust with super glue so it makes a paste. Then you just fill in the chips and sand it. It won’t ever be an exact color match but once it’s finished you really won’t notice. This is really only necessary if your color will be translucent. If you are painting it, any old non shrinking epoxy will work.

Like everyone above me said, if the tuners cover it then forget about it.

The cord on my router got stuck on a clamp one day when I was routing a neck pocket on a telecaster. I ended up taking a nice chunk out of the side of the pocket. Luckily it was black walnut and I was able to make a piece and glue it in. The buyer couldn’t see the mistake! All was good.

Do you have any saw dust left from the headstock? If I have a chip out (like tuner holes) and I really want to match the wood I’ll mix the sawdust with super glue so it makes a paste. Then you just fill in the chips and sand it. It won’t ever be an exact color match but once it’s finished you really won’t notice. This is really only necessary if your color will be translucent. If you are painting it, any old non shrinking epoxy will work.

Like everyone above me said, if the tuners cover it then forget about it.

Thanx for the epoxy trick, I may try it. And Thanx 2 All who responded your input is greatly appreciated believe me!