Neck Angle Goof

So, by some stroke of pure genius I forgot to put a neck angle on my set neck V. I only realised this once I had it glued and painted (anger....rising...). Anyway, I know there are companies that purposely do this and recess the TOM bridge and I may have to do that. Just wondering if there was a really short TOM out there. I currently have the Gotoh TOM from StewMac with the post/bushings and hex nuts on the intonation screws.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp...s_Bushings.html

:D :D

Edited by angry_jeremy

I once read that Carvin's TOM is shorter. Actually, their own description seems to match:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...C&CID=GTR/K

It uses thumbscrews, though; dunno if you'd need adapters in the event that your Gotoh bushings are already installed. I would venture "yes" but I don't actually know.

Greg

I once read that Carvin's TOM is shorter. Actually, their own description seems to match:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...C&CID=GTR/K

It uses thumbscrews, though; dunno if you'd need adapters in the event that your Gotoh bushings are already installed. I would venture "yes" but I don't actually know.

Greg

Carvin doesn't use the thumbwheels on OEM installation. Looks like Tone Pros studs, maybe?

bridge.jpg

Dunno, I was only going by the pic in the link, which doesn't even show the bushing. One could always give'em a ring, though! That said, if that's one of their low profile TOMs, they're still recessing it, so it's apparently not low enough.

Have to give'em a call to know for sure.

Angry, your misfortune may be serendipity for me. I really like the look of those recessed TOM examples. I find the look really clean, especially with string through ferrules vs tailpiece. I may have to use that design in the future.

+1 to Xanthus regarding the break angle. Whatever you decide to do, I suggest you carefully plot it out to ensure you don't bind the strings on the back of the TOM.

The Carvin ones are Gotoh, or manufactured by Gotoh.

Yeah, they do have Gotoh stamped on 'em.

I was just pointing out with the pic that there are two different types that Carvin has (the bridge piece itself is the same between the two)--the one that they sell as a loose part has thumbwheels and no threaded inserts, just small threaded posts; and the one they use in their "M" bridge guitars has large threaded inserts, and post end slots for adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'll go with the recess. I like the look and am now kinda forced to do it. Break angle is OK now with the retardedly high bridge so should be smooth sailing with the lower one. Crappy thing is that I've painted it already so I'll have to touch it up a little. Not the end of the world. Thanks all for the replies.

:D :D