Aeroplane Inspired Build

aidlook

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I dont like much is the cutaway... it doesnt look to flow as nicely as it perhaps could. If it were me I'd just tweak it a little to make the curve a bit smoother. But if thats what you're going to stick with then it doesnt really matter, its just a minor point, it still looks pretty damn cool as it is!

I'll definitely keep track of the progress on this one.

Edited by Ben

• 2 weeks later...

oh man.

I had an idea sort of like this a while back which has evolved into wanting something alien like. I went to 'do it center' many years ago and they have very thin flexable pieces of aluminum individualy packaged. you could cut it with scissors. I thought about just laying it all over a guitar and throw a bunch of screws in it for rivets, but your going all out.

BTW, Greg my girlfriend asked me how to .........

Your girlfriends called Greg? That's just wierd :D

Looking good dude (in a flat piece of aluminIum kind of way). How you cutting the body shape? Can you laser cut aluminIum? I know it's flamible.

I'll just cut it on a metal bandsaw and then use files.

Your comment about the 12th fret inlay got me to thinking about a series of scattered faux "bullet hits" down the fretboard.

Might be a little cliche since all the tweakers started sticking them on their cars but if it's done right I think it would look awesome.

Friends with a metal shop? buy some bullets (not the entire round) and have them slice them into fret markers for you :D

either way works, could be very cool

Not really digging the bullet idea for this guitar, probably not gonna go with a bomb either... I'm probably gonna go with something else.

Anyway got some stuff done today! Cut the shape out, made a wood-template, and turned some knobs on the lathe.

aero019.jpg

fretboard fits perfectly!!!

Wood template

Turning the knobs

Knobs fit perfectly

Edited by aidlook

If you want those knobs to sit flush with the top once the guitar is assembled, you'll need to add a recess on the bottom of them to accomodate for the nuts on the potentiometer. By the way, what's the diameter on those babies? They seem a bit big (but idk if that's the look you're going for).

Good work so far. I've got an idea for an aero plane inspired build as well, but I want to do a "carved" top with full on overlapping aluminum sheet metal riveted together.

peace,

russ

damn, didn't think of that :D well I guess I'll just have to put them back in the lathe and recess it, won't be much of a problem.

I wanted them kinda big, although I must say they look a lot bigger on that picture. I think they're 25 % 28 mm diameter, going for an assymetrical look on this one.

One thing I found though is that I'll probably make more templates on the metal mill. It's very accurate and getting everything in-line and to the right measurements is really easy.

It's gonna get aircraft rivets as well, trying to source some at the moment.

• 2 months later...
Your girlfriends called Greg? That's just wierd :D

Haha!

Looking good dude (in a flat piece of aluminIum kind of way). How you cutting the body shape? Can you laser cut aluminIum? I know it's flamible.

Yes you can. Aluminium does burn (that happened today when I was TIG-welding and got a little angry :D ) but lasers are really fast, and only applies heat to a small area.

Thanks guys!

I'm going to try to aquire some wood for the body in the near future.

Since it's not going to be visible I could go with pretty much anything I guess.

I've been wanting to try some scandinavian birch for some time, mostly because I used to have a sonor drumkit made of birch wich sounded awesome. Can't recall seeing (or hearing) any guitar made of birch, anyone else have any experience on that matter?

Also I've been tempted to add some on board effects to this guitar. Just gotta find a coupe of useful ones, any suggestions here?

bygde - Bet it's cold in your neck of the woods at the minute. Got enough light to be working with? :D

Just wanted to ask if you're good at welding, I'm after a bit of advice on joining two bits of thin steel at a right angle (kind of butt joint). If you can help, then I'll start up another thread so we don't hijack this one.

And if anyone could post a picture of the axe straight into a post on this thread it would be appreciated.

bygde - Bet it's cold in your neck of the woods at the minute. Got enough light to be working with? :D

Just wanted to ask if you're good at welding, I'm after a bit of advice on joining two bits of thin steel at a right angle (kind of butt joint). If you can help, then I'll start up another thread so we don't hijack this one.

And if anyone could post a picture of the axe straight into a post on this thread it would be appreciated.

Haha sorry, my english isn't really up to speed! Got enough light?

Well, I haven't welded very long (about 3-4 years, soon to be 19 years old), but sure, I can help as much as possible! I'm going to take the liberty to brag, and say that I'm going to qualify for the Swedish championships in welding this spring :D

Another thread would probably be good, sorry for hijacking your thread Aidlook!