Staining Tung Oil

I used to use a tung oil based stain from Woodburst, but sadly, they just went out of business...

I used it to stain the wood first, then applied several coats of tung oil tinted with the stain. No bleed through problems.

Maybe StewMac's ColorTone stain can be added to tung oil... not sure.

I have recently finished a project which i finished in tung-oil. I used a water soluble dye for it too. I had no problems with bleeding at all. I did make the precausion of leaving the body for a few days after dying before applying the tung-oil.

Heres a couple of pics for you to see.

http://www.metalwap.co.uk/uppy1/pics/pics/DCFC0035.JPG

http://www.metalwap.co.uk/uppy1/pics/pics/DSCN1714.JPG

And theres a good example of the difference in colour when using a flash and using natural light too....

[Mod edit... your pics were huge; I had to turn them into links.]

Edited by prauny

• 3 months later...

If you already dyed the body and expect trouble shellac is the universal all finish sealer and will stick to any finish. Make sure it has no wax in it as some do. Comes in a clear or amber.

Besides most tung oil is just a Poly with the tung oil name on the label meaning its a wipe on poly with some tung oil in the mix. Real tung oil takes forever to dry.

i actually just tried this a few days ago. Tung oil stain on a scrap piece of quilted maple dyed blue. It looked fantastic and was smooth yet glossy. No stain bleeding through the oil (6 or 7 thinnish coats). As far as i can tell it worked good. I used water alaline dyes from LMI and Formby's glossy tung oil which seems to work good over stains.

If you already dyed the body and expect trouble shellac is the universal all finish sealer and will stick to any finish. Make sure it has no wax in it as some do. Comes in a clear or amber.

Besides most tung oil is just a Poly with the tung oil name on the label meaning its a wipe on poly with some tung oil in the mix. Real tung oil takes forever to dry.

+1

BUT... is you do in fact have real tung oil, be aware that it offers NO protection at all. It will not protect the wood from moisture or abuse. It'll look pretty, but that's it. Check out Flexner's book on wood finishing for more detailed information.