How Much Auto Paint Is Needed

I am going to be painting very shortly & was wondering how much paint is needed to paint a guitar including fretboard. I don't want to purchase more than i'll need. Thank U In Advance.

why are you painting the fretboard? what kind of paint? clear? if so, with it being properly reduced, and pint of paint should give you around 3/4 of a quart, wich is enough.

I am going to be painting very shortly & was wondering how much paint is needed to paint a guitar including fretboard. I don't want to purchase more than i'll need. Thank U In Advance.

why are you painting the fretboard? what kind of paint? clear? if so, with it being properly reduced, and pint of paint should give you around 3/4 of a quart, wich is enough.

It is a Prince Cloud Guitar featured in the movie Purple Rain. I idolize Prince a great deal & didn't want 2 keep spending $2300 on replica's that I don't believe were made out of maple & didn't feature EMG pickups or the brass nut. That what I paid for my 1st Cloud Guitar & wanted more of them so I said why not build them yourself for a lot cheaper. This has been amazing watching it unfold right in front of me. But it gets better as I ordered rub-off Prince Symbol decals from Letraset & can't wait til it's finally playable. Also need 2 get more gold fretwire from Warmoth soon.

Must I use any primer before spraying auto paint on a guitar?

For a Telecaster I built, with a transparent black finish with "faux" (painted on) cream binding, I used the following amount of (large) spray cans:

1 can white primer

1 can cream lacquer

2 cans black lacquer

6 cans clear lacquer

If you are doing a transparent finish, you only want to spray grain filler, no primer. If you are doing a solid finish, you don't HAVE to spray primer, but it will help the paint stick better (less likely to get paint flaws or chips), so I recommend it.

You can use less paint than this, but in my opinion, its really not worth painting a guitar if you aren't going to do it right. I have seen some beautiful guitars ruined by a crappy 2 can, 1 day paint job. You can do a decent paint job for less than $100, which is what you pay for a single nice humbucker. The real investment is in time. If you want a nice looking guitar, but don't want to spend a long time, find a local car paint place, you can probably get the whole guitar finished professionally for a couple of hundred.

Edited by Jozer99

You can probably get away with one can of color. You only need one or two coats. Once the color is there, you cover and build it with clear. Adding extra coats of color doesn't change the color it just makes for more paint, unless it is transparent colors than the color will get darker.

2day I went 2 my local Sherwin-Williams Automive Finish store & purchased paint 4 my project. The brand is 4th Dimension & is navy-blue. I also was told I needed Fast/Medium Reducer #DR632 2 mix with the paint in order 4 it 2 spray evenly. I still need 2 but some 3M Rubbing Compound & 3M Swirl Remover. Does Lowe's or Home Depot sell these items. The auto store had it but it was a bit pricey. The ratio for mixing paint is 2 oz. of paint & 1 oz. of the reducer. What would u recommend I use to measure this accurately? Also I don't have a spray-booth & i'm forced 2 paint outdoors, sholud any steps be taken & also is wheather an issue 2 watch out 4?

Weather is and issue the temperature and humidity can cause all sorts of paint problems. Read the manufacturers tech sheets.

If you painting outside still wear a resperator, also you will still need to wear nitrate gloves and such.

For measuring I buy mixing cups that a graduated from Home Depot or my auto paint store.

For rubbing compound and swirl remover you can use a lot of products and methods, do some searching here and google a find a method that fits your time, skill, and budget.

Let me start by saying right now i'm depressed, confused, & stressed all in one. Last week I went to Sherwin-Williams Automotive Paint store & purchased some 4th Dimension Navy Blue paint. Today I venture to Home Depot for a spray gun, resperator,wet sandpaper & some other items. However when I went to the checkout I picked up the wrong gun price wise. So I went back the aisle to get the other gun I really wanted & I noticed the display read: 5HP 13 Gallon Compressor needed or recommended. My problem is the air compressor I borrowed is a 1 gallon, 100psi. compressor which I don't think this gun would have worked with it. I ended up walking out pissed & heartbroken as my project is now at a standstill. If I would have purchased this gun is there any way I could have got it to spray & what would have been the outcome if I attempted this. Now i'm considering Krylon spray cans. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me start by saying right now i'm depressed, confused, & stressed all in one. Last week I went to Sherwin-Williams Automotive Paint store & purchased some 4th Dimension Navy Blue paint. Today I venture to Home Depot for a spray gun, resperator,wet sandpaper & some other items. However when I went to the checkout I picked up the wrong gun price wise. So I went back the aisle to get the other gun I really wanted & I noticed the display read: 5HP 13 Gallon Compressor needed or recommended. My problem is the air compressor I borrowed is a 1 gallon, 100psi. compressor which I don't think this gun would have worked with it. I ended up walking out pissed & heartbroken as my project is now at a standstill. If I would have purchased this gun is there any way I could have got it to spray & what would have been the outcome if I attempted this. Now i'm considering Krylon spray cans. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step AWAY from the KRYLON!!! :D If you're shooting something as small as a guitar, that compressor you borrowed SHOULD be big enough. It won't stop running and you WILL have to wait for it to catch back up before shooting or you won't have the pressure you need. If you go slow it should work fine. Go get that gun and get after it! :D

Cool & Thanks for the response, is there anything I should know with using air compressor as i've never used one before. When use say go slow do you mean don't press the trigger as much causing a faster paint process. I'm baffled on this & does the compressor have to charge before use. Also it says 1 gal. what does that mean a gallon of continous air flow to the gun.

Cool & Thanks for the response, is there anything I should know with using air compressor as i've never used one before. When use say go slow do you mean don't press the trigger as much causing a faster paint process. I'm baffled on this & does the compressor have to charge before use. Also it says 1 gal. what does that mean a gallon of continous air flow to the gun.

Don't try to shoot the whole guitar in one pass. Shoot the face of it, let it catch up. Shoot the back of it, let it catch up. Does this compressor have a tank on it or is it just the compressor with the hose coming out of it? You basically need it to keep 35-40 psi at the gun as you're shooting. If you don't already have one get a little regulator wih a gauge that reads the air pressure at the gun. If the compressor you borrowed won't keep it at that pressure the whole time, you may not be able to use the spray gun after all. :D

The compressor is all about cfm, or how much air it can supply.

Horsepower, tank size, voltage, blah blah blah.

All you care about for painting is how much air can it supply a minute. These other things make up that number. For a guitar you can use a detail or touchup gun that use a lot less cfm. My next purchase will be an Iwata Lph80, you can almost run it off an airbrush compressor.