Prs Himself Demoing The Gtr3

GregP

I'm not pimping the GTR3. (if I were pimping something it would be Alien Connections' Revalver MkII, which can be found HERE, but I don't tend to pimp stuff, so I wouldn't do that)

However, I thought that it was pretty cool to see Paul Reed Smith himself playing some guitar on what seems to be a custom 513 (of course, he can have any sort of custom PRS he wants). He's one of those classic-rock with blues-influence players, but does some cool texturey stuff as well. Be prepared to laugh when he (in all seriousness, from what I can tell) busts out an 80's chart-rock classic. lol

Here's the parent link:

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=93

And then at the very bottom of the right column there's a "Making of GTR3" video. (not just the "watch video" link to the ad... the "making of" video is the one you want)

Sounds good to me.

The software amp sims have actually sounded plenty good enough for a few years, the problem has always been that the home PC's/Mac's haven't been up to the spec's required for decent tracking & low latency. Once the drums, bass & vocals are in the mix no one is going to be scrutinizing the guitar sound unless it's dreadful...& that will be down to the production mostly. That's not to say that any advancements aren't good, for home studios the GTR3 sounds great.

What they didn't cover is whether you get the same feeling playing along to some studio monitors as standing in front of a cranked tube amp. That will always be the downfall of any amp sim. I've got my pod pro perminantly setup through my PC & into some studio monitors but no matter how much I crank it up I never get that thrill of rumbling 12" speakers or the sweet ringing sustain as a note goes into feedback.

Nothing will ever replace sheer volume and guitar-specific cab (rather than studio monitors). That's a vibe that can't be emulated.

On the other hand, I'm never in a position to crank an amp... live in an apartment, when I do record (rarely), it's late at night. That's when Revalver Mk II steps in. Not that I'd pimp a particular product. :D