Using Two Bridge Pickups On The Same Guitar?

tkcrabby

Hi guys,

I think I know what sort of answers I'll get but here goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm building a Tele which with have two (2) humbuckers ,,,, I have these Seymour Duncan models on hands,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the first is a Alnico II pro APH-1 BRIDGE (7.85 ohms) and the second is a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 TB-14 (14.4 ohms) which is also a BRIDGE pickup ,,,,,, I was thinking of trying these out with the TB-14 at the bridge and the APH1 at the neck ,,, what do you guys think? I've never used either pickup before,,,,,,,,, should I just use one of them at the bridge and if so which one AND what other model would match up well will either of these?

Thanks for the help,

Terry

It'll work. Lots of pickups are marketed as "bridge or neck" or "any position", and in some cases when you specify the location, the neck is wound a bit less hot so that the natural higher-volume of the neck position will balance it out and make it more 'equal' to the bridge pickup. Sometimes bridge pickups come "F-spaced", meaning the polepieces are a tad wider so that they line up better with the strings. But the importance of this is pretty debatable.

I personally think having perfectly-matched output isn't all that particularly important anyhow (don't most people want to flip into "lead" position and get a boost?). Worst case scenario? You hate the way one (or both) of them sounds, and you then buy a replacement. <shrug>

They might both be ”bridge pickups” but they will not be very close balanced when it comes to output. You will probably have to lower the custom quite a bit (14kOhms and ceramic bar magnet means a really hot pickup), while the Alnico II will have considerable lower output with a much tamer treble. The A2 magnet will definitely mean softer/sweeter/weaker (your choice) treble. Try the custom in the bridge and lower it further away from the strings for a less bassy, more twang (Tele-esque) sound. As Greg said: If you have your mind set for a pair of HBs, try them, you might like them.

I gotta agree, it should work just fine. I've used "bridge" pickups in neck positions many times, especially Duncan JBs (have em in 2 guitars as neck pickups), and the Duncan JB is one of those that supposedly is "never" supposed to be used anywhere other than "bridge" position. Matching the pickups to your style is what is important. While I used JB's as neck pickups, I used incredibly hot bridge pickups to balance with them. I knew one guy who played a tele and had a stock single coil bridge pickup(low output), then a Dimarzio X2N(extremely high output) in the neck. Odd, but it did suit his style.

Spacing is another issue, many "bridge pickups" are F Spaced, but these usually work in the neck just fine, even if they are wider spaced than the strings, the strings have a wider and more powerful vibration at the neck position and it's always worked for me. Now, in the bridge, I think accurate spacing is more important, because naturally, the strings vibrate less, cover less of an area, and have less natural output. I've had huge differences in tone related to pickup pole spacing when it comes to the bridge.

Looking at those two pickups you have, despite the "bridge" designation on the AlnicoII, you have a pretty well balanced set there that is honestly comparable to many marketed pickup combinations (such as the Duncan Hot Rod: JB bridge/Jazz Neck). I'd say that unless your style is really out there, you should have a great pickup combo on your hands.

Thanks for the opinions guys, here's what it would look like with the above mentioned pickups, I was going to buy some gold rings but may go with black ones, what do you guys think?

Also, which bridge would you use? The usa strat type has solid saddles BUT overall is lighter than the other bridge BUT the "other" bridge although being heavier has hollow saddles which are stamped and are lightweight themselves?

100_2687.jpg

100_2686.jpg

To me black rings look better on Padauk but again, it's personal opinion. With the gold bridge it wouldn't look bad to have gold rings. A lot of people look at plastic as a sheep alternative to using more expensive metal rings but I personally don’t feel that way.

BTW, I love your choice to go with two humbuckers on a telecaster! That’s my personal preference too!