My Guitar Project

DougK

Awesome project. I just wish I had half of your woodworking skills. Keep up the good work !

sometimes I'm not sure how much skill I have... I rerouted the neck the neck pocket. The bottom of the fret board is about a 1/64th off the body of the guitar now. Looks better, but now Im worried I might be a bit to low. Oh well, if I am I can always glue in a piece of walnut and try again. Looks WAY better now though :D

edit :// Looking at it more, I only need to come up a hair (literally) I could probably just stick a small shim under the neck and you'd never see it. Well NOW I'll wait till I get the nut setup to decide.

Edited by DougK

Steve and I started working the nut today. Got the ends filed and started on the strings. I have some adjustments at the body end to do that I probably wont get to till next weekend (going out of town this weekend) but over all, its coming along.

88516638.jpg

pic2

I also rerouted the rear cavity to fit an easier shape. I made a quicky cover on the scroll saw, when I get a chance I'll use a better matching piece on the CNC to get a nice tight fitting cover.

88516640.jpg

(sorry for the bad picture, the flash is acting up)

• 2 weeks later...

Well today has been an up and down day. I had to pull the bridge bushings because apparently I screwed up just enough that I don't quite have enough adjustment to get the intonation set.

So I made myself a little bushing puller using some scraps around the shop.

puller

blurry picture of the puller 'assembled'

That worked great :D

On to project 2:

Made a couple truss rod covers. They might be a bit thick though, so I'll have to sand it down a hair potentially. Laminated a piece of maple and walnut to each other then ran em on the cnc. Came up with a couple things.

88962031.jpg

So my thoughts is to fill the maple area even with the walnut with some sort of clear epoxy, kind of like how they fill holes in granite. Who knows maybe that'll work, maybe not. Cut the outer edge with a 45* v-bit. I think it came out pretty slick.

Couple other pics:

pic1

pic2

"dk" are my initials incase anyone was wondering, made it look a bit more musical.

So thats the good part. The bad part. So I made plugs to fit the existing bridge bushings which fit and they fit great. The problem is I grabbed the wrong bottle of glue (apparently outdoor titebond or something) and it turned green around the plug. Grrr, wonderful. The maple plugs themselves didn't match up that well either.

So this leaves me two options. Either way Im thinking I need to make a "large inlay" to hide this. I think Im going to make a bowtie of sorts that looks like a giant dovetail. There are two thoughts on this, I can either use a piece of maple I have (its actually the extra 2' of material left from this top). I can get a piece out of this that should look pretty close and once everything is dyed blue it might disappear mostly.

Or I do it out of walnut making it look like the back has a giant dovetail right through the top. Could be kind of cool, but once the guitar is dyed blue it might not be visible and just look odd.

or, or, I do another top color like a like red or orange (possibly sunburst)... But atleast I can try to picture the end of the tunnel here :D

Photoshop of what the end result should sorta look like ('cept the "last" knob should actually be a cream toggle)"

88963293.jpg

Edited by DougK

Coming along very nicely. I also like your kitchen cabinets in the puppy pic! That's just about what I plan on doing in mine, but a little simpler Shaker style without the raised panel. One of these days I'll get around to it...

Thanks Rick :D Shaker is a mainstay of our business, we've been doing alot of that over the last couple years. Actually my parents kitchen is shaker cherry :D If you want to see more pictures of my kitchen the entire remodel process can be seen here http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/kitchen_remodel (I did everything but the granite and the sheetrock)

Well, had a pretty successful weekend. :D Got the bridge FINALLY squared away. Got the E's to intonate correctly called it good enough. Still have to do a final setup on the rest but its damn close. So then finished up the nut side of the deal. The action is fantastic :D Could probably drop the bridge a bit more still.

Then I got ancy and wired the front p90 right to a bum cord and decided to let it rip B) Man this thing is BRIGHT! Has absolutely insane mid-range. The high E is a bit bright but it'll probably mellow out some when I actually wire it in. Overall I am very pleased though I have to admit it does sound a bit different than I anticipated.

89166567.jpg

close up

head stock close up

I also did something else today. I made an "mdf-caster". I've been itching into building a relic-strat so I wrote CNC codes to start making one. For the first go around its almost dialed in. About 30 minutes of messing around and it'll be set. The total on machine time front and back is about 21 minutes (including doing the 2 sculpted parts). Im going to order up a chunk of Alder tomorrow, hopefully have a strat body ready by end of the weekend as well :D

-cant just have 1 project going right LOL

Just for fun, do exactly what you did with the test for sound right after you are done with the finish!! I'm curious of how much that will affect your sound on that build. I know it will affect it, but I just wonder if it will be noticeable, so if you have the time, try that little test. Knowing my ears, I wouldn't hear any difference, but I would bet on certain builds you could hear the difference. I believe one of the reasons good finishers are always trying to get their clear ultra thin is to prevent any loss in sound or at least less loss in sound. I'll likely try the same idea, though I'll probably end up doing it with some crappy stock pups I have laying around because I won't have enough money for pups after I buy all my finishing equipment.

Anyhow, the builds looking great. I'm having a tough time now because I told myself that I would do some type of LP, PRS single cut design for my next build, but that is looking so good I may have to make something similar. Please keep the progress pics coming, I'm glad you got the bridge all hookup nice. Can't wait to see this one all finish my friend, keep up the great work. J

with no pots or anything in the way, that P90 is wide open. I'm not surprised it was harsh. :D

Right, the tone should mellow quite a bit when wired. We'll knock off the PRS Mc Soapy for the wiring.

Your guitar is coming along very well too !! Looking forward to see it finished, that maple top will look amazing in blue. Nothing quite like a nice blue PRS.

Don't worry too much about the brightness yet. When I first wired mine it was a little too bright too, then I discovered I had a broken (open) tone pot. Properly wired with a 500KA volume and a 500KA+.02uF tone, the harshness completely disappeared.

If after adding the controls you still find it too bright the best solution is to shunt the output with a 470K resistor in parallel. PRS does this on the Hollowboy and is subtle and effective.

BTW: I prefer the "alien letter" TRC to the "dK"one. Not only matched the "design feature" on the back, it also looks intriguing. you can always explain to people that it is just a transliteration of "dK" in Ganimedian... :D

Edited by Blackdog

Thanks guys :D I figured it'd tame down some once its really wired in (hopefully atleast LOL). As it sits its like having the bright switch on all the time.

Over all though the guitar plays fantastic and really resonates well.

I absolutely like the "alien letter" (lol) truss rod cover best. But hey, it only took 2 minutes extra to make the dk one so I figured why not right!

fake edit:// You know one really nice thing about trying this guitar direct with no wiring is it'll really help me see how the tone pots ect really effect the over all tone. I've never really done any messing with the wiring of a guitar. :D

Edited by DougK

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is kind of a lame bump, but a bump none the less lol. So I've had mono for the last few weeks so all my projects have come to a halt. Tonight was the first time I could actually stand to play guitar with out my head exploding. So I plugged the "mcsoapy" in and I finally started having some luck getting some good tone out of it. I ended up through random luck I ended up putting on some Chicago and cranked up "I'm a Man". This thing rocked out spot on for that sound, I was freaking stoked. Ended up playing most of that album and then through on the live version of "Lazy" by Deep Purple.

So I think whats been fighting me was the fact I've never had a p90 guitar that was worth a ****. Finally starting to get this thing figured out. For the first time since I've plugged it in Im REALLY happy with how it sounds!

/lame update over

/fake edit: I forgot to mention that the tone pots are wired up. Still can't find my screws for the rear pickup but thats fine for now.

Edited by DougK