Les Paul Pickups

These are the stuff i use because they are consistently the best i have tried

http://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Loads of clips on the forum, in the players section - most done by forum members rather than highly edited by the manufacturer.

Cost a bit though, especially if you are not in the Uk and suffer because of the exchange rate. But dont take the price on the website if you are trying to work out what you would pay - I think tim will knock the tax off any exports so its around 17.5% cheaper than quoted on the website

So I am building a Les Paul Project. I am used to strats / fenders. What are the good pickups for gibsons. I play mostly Jazz, blues, rock. I would like something either versatile or something very unique and nice sound. Whats the best guys? Any sound clips?

Thanks!

For me, it HAS to be Burstbuckers. That would suit the sound you want perfectly.

http://www.gibson.com/whatsnew/pressrelease/2002/jan4b.html

There are loads of people selling them now:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBAIM57ANH

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/GibsonPUPBurstBucker.html

So I am building a Les Paul Project. I am used to strats / fenders. What are the good pickups for gibsons. I play mostly Jazz, blues, rock. I would like something either versatile or something very unique and nice sound. Whats the best guys? Any sound clips?

Thanks!

You can't go wrong with Zhangbuckers.

Great guy to deal with. Great pickups. Great prices.

Thanks!

You can't go wrong with Zhangbuckers.

Great guy to deal with. Great pickups. Great prices.

Thanks guys. I'll have to think them over.

Thanks!

Personally, I like the old Gibson T-Top pickups. You can get 'em on eBay.

Sound clips? A bunch of known guitarists used the T-Tops. do a search on Google. Other than that, the Seymour duncan Alnicos are pretty nice.

What's the best?

Original Gibson PAFs.

Bust out the home equity loan and take the plunge!

thats should read 'some Original Gibson Paf's'. They are the benchmark by which everything else judged. The good thing about the makers above is that they should be able to get you a sound like a gibson paf without the expense - and they can do it consistently which gibson never managed back then.

when buying a real paf (if you can find and afford them) its actual sound is down to luck rather than quality of manufacturing

What's the best?

Original Gibson PAFs.

Bust out the home equity loan and take the plunge!

thats should read 'some Original Gibson Paf's'. They are the benchmark by which everything else judged. The good thing about the makers above is that they should be able to get you a sound like a gibson paf without the expense - and they can do it consistently which gibson never managed back then.

when buying a real paf (if you can find and afford them) its actual sound is down to luck rather than quality of manufacturing

I completely agree with WezV. Although PAF, T-tops were machine wound after the early-mid 60's, they are very inconsistant. The really early and expensive paf used a variety of magnets (aII-aV, even aVIII) up until 61-62 and that alone makes a severe tonal difference. Although current handwound pup models can be slightly different form each other, 95% of them by certain makers will sound really good, which is a matter of preference also. Handwound is always best.

Edited by Kevin Smith