Renewing My Pink Pickups

bigrockshow

Hey guys..

Just got a jem recently and was recommended to come to this forum for any diy stuff.

my pink paf pros are slightly faded ...not pink but more to orange already.

im wondering if its recommended to spray or paint them again?

if so, which brands or specific colour tones are needed to achieve the restored look?

Much appreciated! :D

UniversalJems.com sells vinyl stickers called "bobbin toppers" that are only about $3-$4 for a set and work well if applied correctly. What you need to do is remove the adjustable pole pieces. Then, clean the bobbins and very carefully apply the stickers. Use a small drill bit matching the hole you're reaming out to pierce holes where there were formerly holes in the top of the bobbin (there are 3 holes small holes in total on each bobbin, for most single coils and humbuckers). This will ensure a more authentic (read: "not a sticker") look. Once this is all said and done, use a brush to apply CA around the edges of the bobbin and the insides of the holes, where the sticker's edge is exposed. Apply the CA very sparingly. Finally, get yourself some clear engine enamel from an automotive store. Spray the tops of the bobbins (do several light coats) making sure to get the edges of the bobbin, where the sticker meets the bobbin. Once this has cured, knock the gloss off with some 0000 steel wool. Clean off the steel wool that's stuck itself to the magnets and then reinsert the adjustable pole pieces. If you do this whole process perfectly, it will not look like cheap stickers stuck to a bobbin, the top of the bobbin will simply be a slightly different color from the rest of it.

peace,

russ

If they aren't pretty, that's because they aren't done well. If you don't have the patience or skill to make a bobbin topper work well, you may not be able to do a professional job of painting the bobbins either. Personally, I would leave them be. The only time a guitar should look new is when it first leaves the store.

These are how bobbin toppers should look when done well:

th_100_0218.jpg

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

You can still get a new set of pink PAF Pros from DiMarzio for about $75 per pickup. Just go through your local dealer or even most of the online ones.

I have the same problem on my 1987 Ibanez Jem. The colour is faded and simply "cleaning" it or rubbing it to remove a film of plastic won't help. I hear that the newer ones don't fade anymore but I want to keep the "vintage" pickups in the guitar. The bobbin toppers will not withstand regular gigging, I guarantee that... at least, not for me.

Either live with it or do what a fellow jemster did - put some pickup covers over them. You can get metal covers in chrome, nickel, gold, black & white.