How Do I Install A P90?

pdizzle

well here's the jist

img0803xj4.jpg

there is where the screws come out of the bottom of the pickup (do they go into the wood?)

img0804wk5.jpg

top view

img0805rn5.jpg

this is a soft foam thing with a sticky bottom that I guess I am supposed to attach the wood with the sticky side sticking on the wood

img0806kq8.jpg

the top thing is the pickup and the bottom thing is the foam thingy

Really, I need to know how to mount them

Those are the wrong screws. Normally, p90's are mounted with flat head, countersunk wood screws, about 1 1/2" long. The only time you'd use a bolt instead, is if you were screwing into threaded insert instead of the wood, but even then you'd use a bolt with a flat head. Stewmac.com carries the screws you need. You can find some at a hardware store that are close, but I've never been able to find the exact screw used for p90's anywhere other than at guitar stores.

peace,

russ

well here's the jist

there is where the screws come out of the bottom of the pickup (do they go into the wood?)

Really, I need to know how to mount them

There are in fact many ways to mount them. Those are not necessarily the wrong screw type, but they look short and the head is too big.

Along the years many methods have been used for mounting their P90s, but what you should will also depend on the depth of your cavity. But generally speaking:

You could use wood screws, like those proposed above, directly into the wood. This is by far the simplest, but not the one I like the best. Hamer uses this method on their LP Special type models. Gibson used this method in the 50s LPs.

You could use the normal pickup height adjustment screws (with the small round head and the long variety). But you need to screw them into something. For this you could make some mounting bracket with the proper threaded holes, similar to the ones I made here:

P90mount.jpg

A similar approach was used by Gibson in the late 60s and early 70s with pieces made of aluminum. I used brass instead.

The most professional looking and expensive way would be to get some of these. Parts-is-Parts used to stock these. These were used by Gibson in the late 70s for the LP Deluxe/Pro, and can accomodate P90s or Minihums.

Finally, I wouldn't use the spongy thing. Use springs threaded in the screws instead. The spongy thing will eventually become bland and cease to push the pickup up. It may even rot in the cavity. Springs will last forever.

Good luck.

Edited by Blackdog

I did mention using threaded inserts above, if you'll notice :D. But then again, a picture says a thousand words. I used threaded brass inserts (the sort you would use on a true bolt-on neck and such) to top mount a single coil pickup recently. I was very happy with the results. It's a little cleaner than a big brass plate, but installation is a little finickier.

peace,

russ