Non Working Neck Hum

Boinz

for about 4 months i've been trying to get this schematic to work. and i've done everything to switch cables around to get brand new cables for my neck pickup, to turning it back into a 4 conductor pickup.....but for some reason, my neck pickup in the 5th position, only a very very very weak signal will come out and thats if i raise my amps volume to 10. the 4th position works but it sounds kinda single coilish and i would like a full hum neck sound.

W070054.gif

if you can find a problem with this diagram or let me know how it might not be working on my end, let me know or see if you can correct the diagram itself.

Are you using the same pickups as in the schematic? Different manufacturers use different wiring colors.

well what i did was, is i rewired the conductor cables from scratch, meaning i took apart the entire pickup and gave it 4 conductor cables which i identified which one was hot, grounding, etc. the neck pickup is different that in the schematic, but i did identify which color goes where and which cable is which. so i wired it as it should be in this diagram.

im not sure, all i know is that the bridge seems fine, and i matched the colors from seymour duncan because i have a dimebucker and matched them to where they should be in the 5 way. and it sounds like a humbucker. and the 2nd position does sound like its tapped. so i think the bridge is good.

Edited by Boinz

A quick check on the Ibanez site shows that all guitars featuring this configuration are wired the same. Only the colors change. If the drawing is wrong, which to my eyes doesn't seem to be, then there are thousands of Ibanez's out there with the same problem that you are experiencing. Since this is highly unlikely, I suggest that you check and make sure that your switch is not grounding or shorting between the 4th and 5th position. The Strat like sound in the 4th position is normal, humbuckers in parallel sound like that, but if your switch is shorting, that will kill the PU going from parallel to series. To quote a tutorial from GuitarNut.com;

"Hey! What Happened to the Sound?

When coils (or pickups) are wired in series you have to short across one coil (or pickup) to turn it off -- you still have to provide a complete circuit for the other coil or pickup. With coils or pickups wired in parallel you have to open the circuit to a coil (pickup) to turn it off -- shorting the coil will short all of the coils when they are in parallel.

One mistake I've seen people make is wiring a four-wire humbucker with two or three switches -- one to select series/parallel wiring for the coils and the other(s) to short one coil or the other to use the pickup as a single coil. The only problem with this scenario is that if you have the series/parallel switch set to parallel, and then try to select a single coil, you kill the pickup completely. This is okay if you're expecting it and know why it happens (and know to avoid that combination of switch positions) -- but I've seen it put people in a panic, too! It is better to use a multi-pole, multi-position rotary switch or an on-on-on mini-toggle if you want this kind of capability."

The other posibility is a short between the coils in the PU itself. As mentioned above, in the 4th position it MAY be the PU in parallel, or it MAY be just one coil working, then shorting out completely when you go to series.

Just out of curiousity, have you thouroughly tested the switch for grounds or shorts, and have you tried the bridge PU in it's place to eliminate the neck PU as the culprit?

Cheers

Digi, i tried what you said, and it didn't really work, all that worked after switching the cables was the 2nd position. all other 4 positions gave no sound....well non audible. all those positions had the same problem as when it was originally wired with the 5th position going dead.

OK, here's another course. When you rewired the PU, is it possible that while soldering you may have accidently melted the insolation somewhere and shorted two leads or to ground? Happened to my nephew one time, he was soldering in a 2 lead PU, and the lead was a coax type. The insulation got hot enough that the ground coax melted through the inner positive insulation and shorted out the PU. Took me a while to spot it because physically everything (outer insulation) looked good. That one was a bugger. Just a thought.

Cheers