Frankenstein/creamsicle Guitar

Alright so a month ago the bridge on my Ibanez Roadstar II 440 broke (lame). This was my main guitar but I never really used the trem that much. So rather than trying to find a guitar that I like... I've decided to build one. Now I havent really done anything yet, that where you guys come in. Given that the roadstar series are known for having great necks and are very similar to the fender necks made in the same factory that year, I want to include it in my project.

FIRST QUESTION: What is the best way to remove the paint for this neck?

DSC00097.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

So after stripping the neck I'm planning on purchasing one of Stewmac's Alder Strat bodies

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,...rat_Bodies.html

and painting it orange.

SECOND QUESTION: What kind of paint do you use on guitars?

A friend of mine suggested that I airbrush the part my arm rests on to look like someone took a bite out of it.

http://www.icecreamplanet.com/AA.creamsicle.jpg

Then I think I can take it form there.

Sooo anyone that has any input please...

(i hope this wasnt the wrong area)

Edited by InSasquatchCountry

If you plan on keeping the neck painted, I strongly suggest that you don't completely strip it. Remove as much as you can without bringing it to bare wood. As for what kind of paint to use... there are numerous options. It all comes down to your personal prefs. Do as much research as you can.

For bodies, I would go the eBay route. There are many good quality bodies to be had, some pre-finished to boot.

I agree with Willy78 for keeping it original unless the paint is scratched and chipped or you just can't stand it anymore. However, it's hard to tell from those two pictures. If the finish is in bad shape then a refinish would make it nice again.

I'm with guitar2005 as I wouldn't completely strip it. I would lightly sand(prep) it leaving most of the original color as a base and paint it black or some other color that works with what you have in mind. You have to make sure the paint you use is compatible on that finish though.

Some of the woods used in finished necks and bodies are paint grade and don't look good natural in my opinion. You might strip it down to bare wood only to find out that the wood is ugly unfinished or worse yet it may have knots, filler or other cosmetic problems that were covered up by the finish.

There is a lot of information on this forum so use the Search button and read away.

Good Luck,

Jeff

I agree with Willy78 for keeping it original unless the paint is scratched and chipped or you just can't stand it anymore. However, it's hard to tell from those two pictures. If the finish is in bad shape then a refinish would make it nice again.

I'm with guitar2005 as I wouldn't completely strip it. I would lightly sand(prep) it leaving most of the original color as a base and paint it black or some other color that works with what you have in mind. You have to make sure the paint you use is compatible on that finish though.

Some of the woods used in finished necks and bodies are paint grade and don't look good natural in my opinion. You might strip it down to bare wood only to find out that the wood is ugly unfinished or worse yet it may have knots, filler or other cosmetic problems that were covered up by the finish.

There is a lot of information on this forum so use the Search button and read away.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Ive researched roadstars a lot and from what i can tell, its a stratneck with a different headstock and paint. Ive seen a lot of them sanded and stripped down and they look beautiful. To stay with my creamsicle theme i want it to be the stick.

You seem to have researched the history of the neck, but are you completely positive it will fit into the body you plan to purchase?

Yes I checked the radius on it and its the same a strat. neck.

is something wrong with the body that it couldn't be used?

if it's just the bridge that broke, why not try out a different bridge option instead?

At least you know the neck will fit it.

Well thats the thing, when i purchases the guitar I was like, "Free-floating bridge, hmmm ok why not?". Later I realized that I don't really use the whammy bar that much, Only for a little accenting, and when I bend notes the bridge would pull up a bit and I couldn't bend as far. So when the bridge broke I could have purchased a rose and given that a try but I think I like a simple fender bridge better.

In case anyones interested in roadstar I'm selling a lot of parts off this guitar on ebay.My Store

You guys are probably right about the body. I know I want an alder body but I'm still debating on weather or not i want to make one or buy one. What I was thinking with the stewmac one is they have a 100% satisfactory guarantee to i can get the unfinished body and look at the grain and if i don't like it, send it back.

Thanks for everyone input :]

Well thats the thing, when i purchases the guitar I was like, "Free-floating bridge, hmmm ok why not?". Later I realized that I don't really use the whammy bar that much, Only for a little accenting, and when I bend notes the bridge would pull up a bit and I couldn't bend as far. So when the bridge broke I could have purchased a rose and given that a try but I think I like a simple fender bridge better.

my point was: why not reuse the body, strip it, fill in the trem cavity and make it a hardtail, or fit a fender trem, then refinish the whole shooting match.

If you like the guitar as it was minus the bridge, that's a pretty good project right there imo.

c.

Wow. I used to have one of these guitars. A black with purple sunburst finish, coil tap HB, unfinished maple neck and rosewood board. Great guitar and I regret selling it.

I don't see why the body is useless now. I'm not saying don't work on a guitar or don't do whatever you want to do. I'm just wondering why you think it's unsalvageable because of a bridge issue. I looked at your Ebay auction and it seems okay.

If you just have a hankering to work on a guitar, buy all new parts (body, neck, pups, etc.) and sell the guitar--or keep it. And like someone else mentioned, there are many places that sell cheaper bodies than Stewmac.

wow, hold on there. the radius has nothing to do with weather it will fit or not

5724_detail.gif

Just to get this clear. I measures all of these dimensions (yes the neck has a radius other than the fingerboard). It would fit this body. As I mentioned, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do about the body. I'm still considering making my own. I just don't want to go through the hassle of stripping one, and filling, and redrilling holes. Really my main questions where one the neck and paint.

Ive decided to sand the neck, but if anyone would like to help me out on paint suggestions I would appreciate it. I've never painted a guitar before. What kind of paint do i need? Are there any particularly good brands. Are there any good tuts. on painting?

:]